We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Pre Order offers - Retail or OEM

kevvyb

Likes # 0

Can anyone confirm if the pre-order copies of Win 7 E will be retail versions? I do not want an OEM that is tied to the hardware of one machine.

Like this post
Guybrush1

Likes # 0

I would love to do an upgrade to my Vista Home Premium to my shiny new Win 7 Pro but according to MS on the Win 7 website - here:- click here

it can't be done....

Please clarify

Thanks

Guybrush1

Like this post
a member

Likes # 0

A small fragment from the EULA from windows 7 proffesional, biuld 7600 rtm branch. it should answer some of your questions.

1. OVERVIEW.
a. Software. The software includes desktop operating system software. This software does not include Windows Live services. Windows Live services are available from Microsoft under a separate agreement.
b. License Model. The software is licensed on a per copy per computer basis. A computer is a physical hardware system with an internal storage device capable of running the software. A hardware partition or blade is considered to be a separate computer.
2. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS.
a. One Copy per Computer. The software license is permanently assigned to the computer with which the software is distributed. That computer is the “licensed computer.”
b. Licensed Computer. You may use the software on up to two processors on the licensed computer at one time. Unless otherwise provided in these license terms, you may not use the software on any other computer.
c. Number of Users. Unless otherwise provided in these license terms, only one user may use the software at a time on the licensed computer.
d. Alternative Versions. The software may include more than one version, such as 32-bit and 64-bit. You may use only one version at one time. If the manufacturer or installer provides you with a one-time selection between language versions, you may use only the one language version you select.

Like this post
kevvyb

Likes # 0

Thanks but I don't think this really helps at all. Windows 7 RTM is presumably OEM. The EULA also suggests this in that it mentions "the computer with which the software is distributed."

Buying a copy of the software that is not marked as OEM from a retailer is hardly distributed with hardware or purporting to be.

The versions on sale at pre-order prices appear to be Full retail versions (in Europe anyway) as per other posts in this thread.

That seems to be the consensus at the moment form everything I have read here and elsewhere.

Like this post
kevvyb

Likes # 0

The MS website link you give does indeed sound like th 'party line' alluded to by the poster on the other forum to which I linked.

My feeling is that the MS site you linked too does not really clarify much at all about the exact licensing of the Windows 7 pre-order copies, probably deliberately as SIW2 posted on the w7 forum.

Like this post
kevvyb

Likes # 0

Apologies, RTM = The term "release to manufacturing" or "release to marketing" (both abbreviated RTM)—also known as "going gold"—is used to indicate that the software has met a defined quality level and is ready for mass distribution either by electronic means or by physical media. The term does not define the delivery mechanism, it only states that the quality is sufficient for mass distribution. The deliverable from the engineering organization is frequently in the form of a gold master CD used for duplication or to produce the image for the web.

In most if not all cases, RTM happens prior to general availability GA where the product is released to the public.

......so nothing to do with OEM but the description given by merlinx, still sounds like an OEM version not the supposed 'Full Retail' pre-order versions (Europe).

Like this post
dth

Likes # 0

There will not be an up-grade version for Europe as the European version will not include IE so this would make an upgrade from vista or xp too complex to do.

Like this post
a member

Likes # 0

sorry ,that was the oem EULA
this is the standard (retail) EULA
same section.

1. OVERVIEW.
a. Software. The software includes desktop operating system software. This software does not include Windows Live services. Windows Live is a service available from Microsoft under a separate agreement.
b. License Model. The software is licensed on a per copy per computer basis. A computer is a physical hardware system with an internal storage device capable of running the software. A hardware partition or blade is considered to be a separate computer.
2. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS.
a. One Copy per Computer. You may install one copy of the software on one computer. That computer is the “licensed computer.”
b. Licensed Computer. You may use the software on up to two processors on the licensed computer at one time. Unless otherwise provided in these license terms, you may not use the software on any other computer.
c. Number of Users. Unless otherwise provided in these license terms, only one user may use the software at a time.
d. Alternative Versions. The software may include more than one version, such as 32-bit and 64-bit. You may install and use only one version at one time.

Like this post
a member

Likes # 0

the windows 7E EULA is not yet available , after all the (E) version was hastily announced after Microsoft unexpectedly lost a court case meaning they would have to strip the internet browser (ie8) from win 7 for the European releases. its also the reason that the (E) version is a clean install only .(they did not have the time to create a new installer to accomadate those changes) and of course Modify the EULA.

Like this post
Rob_08

Likes # 0

A user installs the Retail Windows 7 Pro 64bit and activates it, then decides they dont like it ,can they uninstall and install the 32bit version or are they stuck with the 64 ?
Thank you anyone who knows.

Like this post
a member

Likes # 0

to the best of my knowledge , you will have 30 days before you will have to activate , use that time to get used to whatever edition , if you want to keep it then activate it , if not uninstall it and install the other one and activate . when you activate you will be assigning that activation key with your PC permanantly, and (I believe) will not be able to change back unless of course you pay for the additional OS . however the EULA state,s that you may install one version (32 or 64) and use only one version at a time .
to me that would mean that you could use either , and possibly change in the future, as long as only one was in use at any one time.
the whole idea is a bit contradictory ,I would phone Microsoft uk and have them to clarify it for you.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback