We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Pre Order offers - Retail or OEM

kevvyb

Likes # 0

Can anyone confirm if the pre-order copies of Win 7 E will be retail versions? I do not want an OEM that is tied to the hardware of one machine.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

I was trying to think of an appropriate response but the FE would probably delete it!

Like this post
Rob_08

Likes # 0

And now it seems they have already withdrawn the discount, not good news. I thought the offer was due to run around a month ? And surely keeping the price low would have been good for MS at this time. Maybe they'll rethink if the response is strong enough.

Like this post
TopCat®

Likes # 0

before Win7 can be installed, I've just now looked at the MS store wording and the answer there is YES for both Home and Pro Editions. Need to scroll down to 'System requirements' to find it. TC. click here

Like this post
Rob_08

Likes # 0

Operating System
Must be running a genuine copy of the Windows XP or Windows Vista operating systems.

And then say "you must perform a clean install"
???

doesnt make sense.

click here

Like this post
Rob_08

Likes # 0

In the USA they dont have any of these bizarre requirements

click here

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

to Windows 7 you'll need to do a clean install - the Windows 7 installer won't support an upgrade. You can use the supplied easy transfer wizard to move your data files to an external device or media, or you can transfer the files yourself, before you start.

If you're running a Vista machine you can run an upgrade install if you want to do that.

Personally I prefer to do a clean install on any computer.

Whatever you do, make sure that before you start you have obtained Windows 7 drivers for all your peripherals - printers, scanners. etc. You'll probably find that Windows 7 will have a driver in its database, or that it will trot off and find one after the install, but it doesn't hurt to go into the process fully prepared.

Like this post
TopCat®

Likes # 0

Thanks, FE, for the clarification and guidance. TC.

Like this post
Rob_08

Likes # 0

So.... does that mean Windows 7 Pro E can be installed on a formatted drive with no prior O.S Then ?
The microsoft page is a bit confusing stating you have to have xp or vista installed.
sorry if i missed something obvious ;)

Like this post
kevvyb

Likes # 0

Taken from an answer I received on another forum - I think this helps.....

Hi kevyb,

Upgrade licenses will not be available in the UK (at least initially).

MS do not want to lose the sales from the Upgrade market.

Therefore, they are making the Full Retail version available at the Upgrade price.

There is also a reduction on that price during the pre-order period.

To qualify for the Upgrade Price - you should officially have a qualifying version of Windows installed.

The dvd/download you get will be the Full Retail version - even tho. you have only paid the pre order upgrade price.

If you ask MS what you need to do to qualify for the Upgrade price - they will give you the official line.

They can't state otherwise publicly- because that is what you always needed for the upgrade price - and what other countries are being asked to provide for the upgrade price.

If you wait till after the offer to purchase Win7 - you will just pay more for the same install media and license.

Retail license allows you to move the o/s to a different machine - if you remove it from the first one.

OEM (System builder ) license does not allow you to move the o/s to a different machine.

Hope it helps

Like this post
kevvyb

Likes # 0

Here is the link:

click here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites