We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Pre Order offers - Retail or OEM

kevvyb

Likes # 0

Can anyone confirm if the pre-order copies of Win 7 E will be retail versions? I do not want an OEM that is tied to the hardware of one machine.

Like this post
Number six

Likes # 0

I also phoned the MS UK store today and was told the same as Crossbow7 - full retail version, no previous OS installation or license/key required. Time for our saviour FE to investigate on our behalf?

Like this post
kevvyb

Likes # 0

Who is FE and yes please. Maybe I am still in with a chance of Win 7 on my laptop and desktop for £200.....?

Like this post
kevvyb

Likes # 0

Forum Editor.....?

Like this post
Number six

Likes # 0

Just emailed the Forum Editor. Hope he can clear this up once and for all.

Like this post
kevvyb

Likes # 0

That would be a massive relief.

Like this post
Ozy

Likes # 0

if crosstrainer is right, will 7 RC count as an
installed System, as i wont to install on the partition that has Win 7 RC on

Like this post
Prela

Likes # 0

All past "upgrade" versions of microsoft operating systems have been installable on a completely blank PC with no OS, provided that the BIOS was set to boot from the CD drive. I can't see any reason why 7 would be different. The release candidate currently available for download from microsoft also says that it needs to be installed over your current OS, but I installed it on a blank HDD (Brand new after my old one died).
As for the tied to the PC for OEM, this has never really been an issue so long as you don't expect to be able to call microsoft for help.

BTW, all OEM versions of vista currently come with an upgrade to windows 7 included.

Like this post
kevvyb

Likes # 0

I see what you mean. So the so called 'upgrade' versions do not look or ask for an existing O/S or require an existing valid key?

What is the distinction then between an upgrade and a full version or is it a complete nonsense?

With regard to the OEM issue what about activation. Are you saying that you only need to wait long enough (i.e. betond the baseline 120 days for win XP) and an OEM version can be activated on any new hardware?

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

I registered with 'a company' to be contacted on 15/8 when pre-orders can be placed. They rang me today to say that they were going to get a limited amount and had decided to take pre-orders for pre-orders today. They have been allocated 150 Home Premium versions and I am number 50 on the list.

As far as I am concerned it is irrelevant whether it is OEM, an upgrade or even the complete version. I only have one PC and as far as I am concerned £49.99 for software that will retail at about £150 is bloody good value.

As a new operating system there will no doubt be numerous updates and Service Packs but that is the same as at least the last two or three issues of Windows so why wait?

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Just found this on Amazon - At present in the EU, all versions of Windows 7 (Home Premium, Professional and Ultimate) are the full product. This means that to install Windows 7, you do not need any previous version of Windows installed on your computer.

Since only the full product is available, please note that when you install the E edition of Windows 7, you'll need to do a custom (clean) installation. That means you'll need to back up all of your files and settings, install the operating system, then re-install your files, settings and programs. Be sure to check out Amazon’s great selection of external storage devices in our electronics store that will assist you in this process.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 review: The best iPad mini and Nexus 7 rival tablet around

IDG UK Sites

Which Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

Samsung lights up London skyline with Midnight Rainbow