We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Pre Order offers - Retail or OEM

kevvyb

Likes # 0

Can anyone confirm if the pre-order copies of Win 7 E will be retail versions? I do not want an OEM that is tied to the hardware of one machine.

Like this post
BurrWalnut

Likes # 0

I have a feeling that we (in the EU), get the OEM version when it is pre-ordered. The reason I say this is because in the USA, their pre-order version is an upgrade click here

It’s still a bargain, £50 for an operating system, I think DOS 5 cost that. You could buy two and keep one in reserve for a later installation.

Like this post
kevvyb

Likes # 0

Upgrade and Full versions are a different thing to OEM/Retail.

The former is about the method of moving from one version to another either as standalone new installation or requiring a previous installation key/disk, the latter is about the license and if that allows activation on more than one PC (one at a time of course).

Like this post
kevvyb

Likes # 0

My question is about the latter licensing issue.

Like this post
kevvyb

Likes # 0

My understanding about the Win 7 E version is that it is a full version requiring a clean install because MS have not yet been able to figure out or way to upgrade a system with a browser to one without a browser.....

Like this post
BurrWalnut

Likes # 0

I know the differences between OEM, Retail, Full and Upgrade but perhaps I didn’t explain it very well.

The US pre-order offer is an upgrade which, by implication, is restricted to one machine. The E version (for us) is a clean install but it requires a qualifying operating system (XP or Vista) to be currently installed. So, like the US version, it is tied to one machine and to me that means OEM.

Like this post
crosstrainer

Likes # 0

If you purchase a new machine, you will certainly get an OEM copy. If you want to install it on a perfectly good existing system, I'd buy a full retail copy.

I would also wait until well after Christmas at least until the first round of critical updates and patches are released.

I plan to wait until it gets to SP1 prior to buying it, I've BETA tested, and it seems fine...But Vista is still a perfectly good O/S so let others find the faults first :))

Like this post
bazb

Likes # 0

Why does the upgrade have to be restricted to one machine.

Surely if I upgrade from a retail copy of XP or Vista then the rules for that copy will apply.

Like this post
betaman

Likes # 0

If both the US upgrade and the EU E version are restricted to one machine would there be any restriction on purchasing the US version for installing in the EU?

As the US version is $49 as opposed to the UK price of £49, I'm wondering if it would be feasible to buy the US version from Amazon.com - saving a bit of money.

Like this post
Crossbow7

Likes # 0

According to the Microsoft UK store the pre-order version will be a full retail version - I called them. Btw, the number is 00800 2727 0909, choose option 4. Opening times are 9am-6pm, Mon-Fri & Sat 9am-1pm (I think).

"The E version (for us) is a clean install but it requires a qualifying operating system (XP or Vista) to be currently installed" - not so apparently, i.e. despite what the FAQs say to the contrary. The MS store confirmed that, as it'll be a full retail version, it can be installed on any compatible system - even one that doesn't have any OS installed.

"I plan to wait until it gets to SP1 prior to buying it" - when it's likely to cost 2-3 times more than the pre-order version?

"would there be any restriction on purchasing the US version for installing in the EU?" - I don't think there's any restriction in installing it, but finding a US retailer to sell it to you may be your biggest hurdle to overcome. If you're somehow able to, remember you'll need to pay UK VAT & delivery charges (if it's a hard copy), eventually saving very little.

"I'm wondering if it would be feasible to buy the US version from Amazon.com - saving a bit of money." - Afaik, Amazon US don't ship to the UK. G

P.S. The above info has been given to me by people 'in the know', but even they can get it wrong sometimes. So please don't hold me accountable if they turn out to be inaccurate in the future :-). Please post any conflicting news if anyone else calls the store too. Thanks.

Like this post
kevvyb

Likes # 0

crossbow thanks for that. And how sensible to call the MS UK store.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S6 release date and specs rumours: When will the Galaxy S6 come out?

IDG UK Sites

How to win iTunes Festival 2014 tickets: See Pharrell Williams, Sam Smith, Kylie & more live, for...

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft's all or nothing bet on Windows Phone is the best way forward

IDG UK Sites

Google adds better type rendering to its Chrome browser on Windows