We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Win7 & VHD Support

Bob The Nob©

Likes # 0

Right guys, I wanna dual boot (Win7 & Fedora11) on my laptop but I wanna use my second OS in a VHD.

How would I go about this? I have created the VHD but I need to figure out how to install everything.

Like this post
Crossbow7

Likes # 0

Why don't you use something like VirtualBox click here?

Some instructions can be found at click here, & the PDF manual at click here. All the best with it, G

Like this post
Bob The Nob©

Likes # 0

didn't wanna run an OS ontop of windows.

I have decided to just re-partition everything.

Like this post
Crossbow7

Likes # 0

I believe you can create a VirtualBox (basically a VHD) in a different partition, by virtualising the partition instead of creating a VHD.

If you create a standard dual-boot, then no VHD/VirtualBox type software is required. I would install Win7 first, then the Linux distro as the latter usually has better inbuilt options/menus for dual-booting with other OSes. G

Like this post
DataCabbitKSW

Likes # 0

There are a veritable ton of guides on how to make a bootable VHD and set it up to boot on your system. Here are a small selection:
click here
click here
click here
They largely talk about the beta, but the same thing applies to the Release Candidate, Pre-RTM and likely also the final versions of Windows 7. If you are a MSDN/TechNet subscriber, the later test Pre-RTM builds have been coming out as .WIM images, so making them into VHDs is very easy. You can also find more information looking around the official Windows 7 RC Support Forum located here click here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Swatch to release its own line of smartwatches to rival iWatch

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

The 7 most ridiculous iPhone 6 rumours: what Apple WON'T reveal on 9 September