We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How do you go back to a single boot from dual boot

sure.t

Likes # 0

i was woundering if it is easy to return back to a single operating system from having a dual boot?

Like this post
BurrWalnut

Likes # 0

You haven’t said what systems are multibooting, nor which one was installed first. Here are a few solutions using my crystal ball:

1. If you want to return to XP after removing Vista or Win 7 and XP was installed on its own initially, you have to reinstate boot.ini, as follows:
- Boot from the XP CD and select the first repair option (R) which will take you to the Recovery Console.
- Type fixmbr and press Enter.
- Type fixboot and press Enter.
- Restart the computer.

If asked, type Y to the continue message.

2. If you want to return to Vista after removing another version of Vista or Windows 7 and the one you want to keep is the one that was first installed:
- It is much easier than returning to XP. Download EasyBCD, scroll down click here and get the instructions click here Just go to the Add/Remove Tab.

3. If you want to keep an operating system that was installed as a second system, it’s more complicated and you will have to post here which systems you have and what partitions you have.

Like this post
sure.t

Likes # 0

say if i have origanlly had vista ultimate what if i booted windows 7 and wanted to keep windows 7 and get rid of vista?

Like this post
BurrWalnut

Likes # 0

Please confirm that Vista is on drive C and Windows 7 is on drive D (or a subsequent letter) and if they are on the same HDD.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Very best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers