We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How to speed up start up and shut down on windows

sure.t

Likes # 0

I was woundering if there was some kind of tweak to speed up the start up and shut down process on windows vista?

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

I think that's something everyone has wondered.
From hitting the power button how long does it take to load all applications and for the desktop to finalise ? And same again for a full shutdown ?

My Vista laptop takes (currently) around 1 min 45secs to load all, and anywhere from as little as 15 secs to as much as 45secs or so to fully shutdown. It's usually somewhese in the middle :)

Like this post
sure.t

Likes # 0

I was just woundering if it was maybe laptop but through what you said mabye its not. As you search online for such a topic you end up with download this program and download this as well. To be honest how could it speed it up if your adding more applications?
I heard there maybe something which you can change in the registry to make a quicker shut down but appart from that i dont know anything else. I wis to know if someone has used this registry tweak and if it has been working effectively or not?

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

Trying to tweak things can cause more problems than it solves IMO. There's a registry "fix" and hack for every possible thing you can think of.
The only "tweaky" application I use is CCleaner.
I run one security package and no Defender running in real time.
I just run Vista, with IE8 (no other browsers or toolbars) and a couple of sidebar gadgets, and nothing else in real time.
You can open windows defender and use software explorer to disable certain startup programs and applications. Things like Adobe, and NTI CD maker etc etc just aren't needed at startup.
Worth looking to see what starts up.

Like this post
sure.t

Likes # 0

I will try and get back to you as i have a list of programs that start up and i need you to tell me if i can disable them at start up as i dont want to mess anything up

Like this post
gazzaho

Likes # 0

To be honest I don't think there's a simple answer to the start up shutdown times. My Vista system takes on average 3 minutes or more to start up, the delay for some reason only happens when my USB external drives are connected. For this reason I usually put my computer into sleep mode when not in use as it restores way faster than having to cold boot it. Try sleep, or better for laptops, hibernate, as opposed to shutting down as getting to a usable desktop will be much faster than a cold boot. Just use reboot now and again to ensure that the memory doesn't become too badly fragmented and cause instability.

As mooly said running Windows Defender, selecting tools and then Software Explorer and selecting Startup Programs from the drop down category list will display all processes that load at startup. From this list you can decide what ones you want to disable on startup, this will be up to you as some may be needed like anti virus, printer or other applets that need to be run at startup in order to work properly.

If you disable anything you need you can always re-enable it from the same place, so it's completely safe to use, just don't hit the remove button by mistake. If the disable button is greyed out try clicking on show for all users, this should allow you to use the delete button.

Like this post
BurrWalnut

Likes # 0

Here is my growing list of things that could be responsible for slowing the start up, normal running and shutting down of your computer. Not all of them will apply to you but look through the list and try those that seem appropriate:

1. Make sure you are free from malware as that can slow it down. If necessary, run your ‘anti’ programs.
2. Insufficient memory (RAM) can slow the system down. A minimum of 2GB is recommended, more if your system can cope with it. Also, SuperFetch preloads into memory the programs and data it expects you to use based on past usage. This does result in quite a lot of disk activity after startup as files are read from disk into memory but it can make a difference to the launch times of frequently used programs where a large amount of RAM is installed. Disable it on systems with less than 2GB of RAM via the Windows Orb (Start), type services.msc and press Enter. Scroll down to Superfetch, double-click it and change the Startup type to Disabled and click Stop to immediately turn it off.
3. Indexing takes a day or so to settle down on a new Vista computer. However, if you don’t do much internal searching, turn it off completely click here
4. Turn off Scheduled defragmentation via Windows Orb (Start) > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmentation. However, every so often you need to check if any disks have become excessively fragmented, which can affect disk performance.
5. If you’re using Windows Defender, stop it from auto-scanning and check if your antivirus program is scanning at boot time.
6. You’ll get a slightly faster start up if you optimise the boot files and applications by running a special defragmentation from an elevated CMD prompt, i.e. click the Windows Orb (Start) > All Programs > Accessories and right-click Command Prompt, then ‘Run as Administrator’. Type defrag C:\ -b (note the two spaces) and press Enter.
7. When you have a slow boot, check that no external drives have media in them. If they have, experiment by booting with it inserted and without. If you have a built-in card reader remove the little plastic cover that protects the slot, which can occasionally cause a slow down.
8. Reduce the number of programs that start up when you switch on the computer by downloading and installing the free Quick Startup click here Click on (highlight) an entry, then in the left pane choose Disable, Delete or, even, Add. If you are unsure about an entry and want to know more about it before disabling or deleting it, highlight it and then click More information at the bottom.
9. To check if a particular program is slowing the machine when you switch on or shut down, e.g. an antivirus program, go to Control Panel > Classic View > Performance Information and Tools > Advanced Tools (in the left pane). On this screen the problem is sometimes shown.
If it isn’t shown, click the Windows Orb (Start) > All Programs > Accessories, right-click Command Prompt then ‘Run as Administrator’. Copy & Paste or type wevtutil qe Microsoft-Windows-Diagnostics-Performance/Operational /f:text > %userprofile%\Desktop\Event.txt (note the five spaces) and press Enter. If you Copy & Paste the command, use mouse right-click to Paste it into the prompt. Close the command prompt and double-click Event.txt on the Desktop to open it. Go to the end of the file (Ctrl+End) to see the most recent events. Those with an Event ID in the 100 series are start up events and those in the 200 series are shut down events.
10. You can use Process Explorer to see what services are running. To see the svchost processes, let the mouse pointer hover over each svchost.exe in the left pane. Download it from click here
11. I don’t agree with all of these speed improvement tips but you may find something that looks familiar, read through the list click here and/or here click here

Like this post
adman 2

Likes # 0

Like this post
scrum half

Likes # 0

i had a message stating that " these drivers are causing windows to resume slowly. ati radeon kernal mode driver, filename atikmdag.sys device ati radeon hd 4800 series"
can anyone throw any light on this please.
scrum half

Like this post
smackheadz

Likes # 0

you could go to your pc manufacturers website and download the drivers from there.but they may be older drivers or exactly the same ones.when i was using vista the only way i got rid of those messages was by going back to older drivers.if you are using less than 2gig of ram then your best bet would be more ram.

Like this post
smackheadz

Likes # 0

as for sure.t the only thing that speeded my start up was ccleaner but did nothing for shut down which was quick enough anyway.and i used to run vista home premium on 1 gig of ram :o)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 release date, price, specs, new features: world's thinnest tablet also gets Touch ID

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Will Photoshop work with Yosemite? And will Illustrator, After Effects, Premiere Pro or the other A?......

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...