We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can't enable hibernation on notebook in Windows 7

gazzaho

Likes # 0

I can't enable hibernation in Windows 7 on my Toshiba Satellite P100-188 notebook, the option isn't in the power settings, the only option is Sleep, so I googled it and found an answer but On entering "powercfg -h on" into an administrator command prompt as the various pages suggested I get this message.

Hibernation failed with the following error: The request is not supported.

The following items are preventing hibernation on this system.
An internal system component has disabled hibernation.

My question is what internal system component has disabled hibernation? I'm stumped, others have reported a VGA super driver or similar causing the same error but it was listed in the command prompt message, nothings listed in my message.

Has anyone had this report or similar while trying to enable hibernation?

Like this post
anskyber

Likes # 0

Toshiba often use their own power management system and you will probably find it in all programs. The Toshiba system will therefore override the W7 facility.

Like this post
gazzaho

Likes # 0

Thanks for answering anskyber, I haven't installed any Toshiba related apps and services and processes in task manager don't show any Toshiba related power configuration processes running.

I know that laptop manufacturers install such apps in order to manage power more efficiently but the Win 7 installation was clean and as far as I'm aware there were no Toshiba power related updates on the Windows update page after the installation, only graphics drivers sound drivers and a driver for the Texas Instruments card reader. There are only perhaps 15 or so processes running, none Toshiba, and no Toshiba related services either.

Like this post
Crossbow7

Likes # 0

Perhaps the official Toshiba forum click here could help you. G

Like this post
gazzaho

Likes # 0

Thanks for the advice Crossbow7 but to be honest that's the first place I looked lol, I should have mentioned that in my original post. It's strange but there aren't a lot of postings on the Satellite P100 Toshiba forum regarding Windows 7, either not a lot of people have it installed or there are very little problems using it.

I can't see it being the former as it's so easy to install, you don't even have to partition the hard drive if you use the virtual hard drive option.

Like this post
Crossbow7

Likes # 0

gazzaho, I meant post a fresh thread there asking for help with your specific problem. All the best, G

Like this post
Technocrate

Likes # 0

So if you are really going to use this feature then you need to enable it by doing a simple procedure as mentioned below:
1. Open Command Prompt with Administrator rights. To open Command Prompt, type CMD in Start menu and then hit Ctrl + Shift + Enter to open the Command Prompt with Admin rights.
2. Next, type the below command and hit enter:
powercfg /hibernate on
3. Type exit and hit enter to close the Command Prompt.
4. If you can’t see the Hibernate option in Start menu then do the following tasks:
A. Type Power Options in Start menu and hit enter.
B. In the left pane, open the link labeled “Change when the computer sleeps” and then open the link “Change advanced power settings”.
C. Under the Advanced Sleep options, expand the Sleep tree and turn off Hybrid Sleep.
D. Now go back to Start menu to see the new Hibernate entry.

For More Information and help related to windows 7 issues click here

Like this post
gazzaho

Likes # 0

Thanks Technocrate that seems to have worked a treat, I didn't have to work through steps 3 and 4 either. I don't know why Microsoft make it so difficult sometimes to do simple things from the GUI.

Like this post
gazzaho

Likes # 0

I checked the iyogi.net site you linked to and Web Of Trust gives a warning for it, it doesn't appear to be trustworthy or reliable although the address checker on my virus suite clears it for malicious content, just thought I'd mention it.

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

Iyogi site is fine

Like this post
Gundalf

Likes # 0

Technocrate: after doing what you suggested, I still can't hibernate in windows 7. After hibernate for 3 seconds, windows 7 show the login screen. This article about setting bootable flag has helped me solved this problem

click here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The best iPhone 6 alternatives: Price and specs compared with the best smartphones

IDG UK Sites

The top 10 Apple products ranked by pixel density: Which Apple devices have the sharpest screens?

IDG UK Sites

SBTRKT's Look Away webcam-based interactive music video won't keep your gaze

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...