We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Best Buy Pre-Order

chub_tor

Likes # 0

I can confirm that Best Buy in the USA have released the pre-order of Windows 7 Upgrade click here.

I don't know if it allows you to order and send to a UK address but luckily I have a daughter in the USA who can get the upgrade for me and who has confirmed that she ordered the Home Premium Upgrade at $49.99 + tax.

Like this post
Crossbow7

Likes # 0

What's the tax for please? I thought it was $49.99 all in, no? Aren't many places in the US offering it with free delivery as well?

Anyway, here's a small tip to keep the costs down legally:

Tell her to send it as a 'gift' & declare this on the customs form - more info here: VAT and duty on gifts sent from outside the EU click here. Today's conversion rate is £31-32, so let's hope it doesn't cross the £36 mark (at the time of sending), & they don't treat it as a 'software import'.

Other info that may be of use:
- A guide for international post users
click here
- Importing computer software click here

Like this post
dms_05

Likes # 0

The Microdoft US Store says:

Shipping Restrictions
The United States Microsoft Store cannot ship to P.O. Boxes, U.S. Territories, APO or international addresses at this time.
Note: Microsoft Store does not enable carriers to redirect packages to a new address after it has been shipped. This helps fight online fraud.

They also automatically apply 'free' shipping at the checkout - a bit like UK Royal Mail 2nd class service. You can then chose additional charges for swifter delivery - if you wish.

Amazon are advertising free postage in the UK on orders over £5 including the W7 pre-order available from 15 July for a limited time.

Like this post
AlanHo

Likes # 0

I would not put it past Microsoft to frustrate UK users if they install a cheap USA sourced copy by providing only the US language and keyboard settings in the installation software.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

The tax is the local Sales Tax and as my daughter, who will be shipping it to me lives in Texas there will be 8.25% added to the price. Shipping is free inside the USA.

AlanHo, I hope that you are wrong about the language settings, but I will take a chance and find out. I am hoping that upgrading from the USA version will be an easier path that having to do a complete re-install of all my programmes which will be necessary with the European version that ships without IE8 so that it can meet EEC requirements.

Like this post
Crossbow7

Likes # 0

chub_tor, thanks for confirming the tax. Yes, I meant free shipping within the US.

"I am hoping that upgrading from the USA version will be an easier path..." - you can also use the full version to do an upgrade. Minimum of Vista required though.

If you're using XP (or any prior OS), you will have to do a fresh install anyway. I believe a fresh install is possible with either the upgrade or full version. Don't forget to backup prior to whichever route you take. G

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Google Fit vs Apple Health Kit: What's the difference?

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

Government kills £50 million 'Silicon Roundabout' regeneration fund