We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

windows 7

Teaboy

Likes # 0

Am I right? Is MS selling windows 7 in the EU with no upgrade version being available. That is if you want it you must buy the full version! along with all the hustle of a complete reinstall!

They have got to be jesting.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

from Speakers Corner to the Windows 7 forum.

Like this post
OTT_Buzzard

Likes # 0

click here

I found the article a bit confusing, but seems to say that although no upgrade version will be available, the full version in Europe will be priced the same as an upgrade upgrade anyway (£79.99 for Home Premium). This seems to be a far better deal than for Vista / XP.

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

I am confused..if no upgrade version available to EU users, how will I move from XP and/or Vists. Will the full version just install over any older version ?

Like this post
Teaboy

Likes # 0

iscanut

I don't think that it will be possible to install on top of existing OS. If it were that would be an upgrade! I can only see a full installation job being possible.

Like this post
audeal

Likes # 0

iscanut: Maybe when installing W7 you will be given the option to format the drive and then install automatically.

Like this post
AlanHo

Likes # 0

The problem is not of Microsoft's making. Our idiotic Eurocrats will not let them sell Windows 7 with Internet Explorer included. Hence MS have had to strip IE from Windows 7 for the Europe market - they call it Windows 7E.

MS have yet to find a reliable way of installing Windows 7 on top of XP or Vista as an upgrade that removes Internet Explorer. Hence the need for a clean install.

In any event - it is always wise when changing from one OS to another - to reformat and start with a nice clean system

Like this post
Crossbow7

Likes # 0

One can use the disc supplied with the offer to do an upgrade - see PCA's own article & experience regarding this click here, & this needs a prior installation Vista - i.e. the same with Win7's upgrade-only version.

If you have XP or prior OSes, one can perform a fresh install only - again, the same with Win7's upgrade-only version. G

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014