We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Vista 64 - Hanging on Shutdown Screen

RJack

Likes # 0

Hi

I've recently taken delivery of a pc which seems to have a problem shutting down properly. This fault seems to be intermittent but happens more often if i have been playing games or using the pc for longer periods.

When i select Shutdown the screen comes up Shutting down then hangs on that screen. When i go back a couple hours later its selling reading shutting down.

I am making sure every application is closed before i chose shutdown but can't seem to work out whats causing the problem

PC Specs:

AMD Phenom x4 955 Black Edition
Asus Mobo 790GX
8gb 800mhz Ram
HD Radeon 4890 Gfx Card
Windows Vista X64 (OEM)Edition.
1TB HDD

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Like this post
BurrWalnut

Likes # 0

1. To check if a particular program is slowing the machine when you shut down, e.g. an antivirus program, go to Control Panel > Classic View > Performance Information and Tools > Advanced Tools (in the left pane). On this screen the problem is sometimes shown.

2. If it isn’t shown, click the Windows Orb (Start) > All Programs > Accessories, right-click Command Prompt then ‘Run as Administrator’. Copy & Paste or type wevtutil qe Microsoft-Windows-Diagnostics-Performance/Operational /f:text > %userprofile%\Desktop\Event.txt (note the five spaces) and press Enter. If you Copy & Paste the command, use mouse right-click to Paste it into the prompt.

Close the command prompt and double-click Event.txt on the Desktop to open it. Go to the end of the file (Ctrl+End) to see the most recent events. Those with an Event ID in the 200 series are shut down events.

Like this post
RJack

Likes # 0

Wow that was fast response thanks for the update i will try that later on.

I've got a horrid feeling Bullguard might be the root cause of the problem. I have this as a 3 month trial but it seems to block everything.

When i install a game i have to right click on the shortcut and select run as administrator.

I'm pretty new to Vista but i'm sure account name is set as admin.

Like this post
Teaboy

Likes # 0

Rjack

This is your lucky day! I had the identical prob.
when I received my vista 64bits machine earlier this year from Mr Mesh. It too came with Bulldog installed on a three month trial.

I deleted Bulldog, and downloaded AGV.

Problem solved! My machine flies, and shuts down quickly, like a good'un.

Like this post
RJack

Likes # 0

Thanks all for the advice.

I decided to uninstall Bullguard & Install AVG the computer shuts down without hanging now.

Just one other question as i never noticed it with Windows XP. Does Vista constantly access your hard drive. I particularly notice this the most when i windows is loading after i log in.

I've gone into Services & switched off all apps on start up tab because i think the majority of it is junk. Although the computer is quick at loading the desktop it always sounds like something is running in the background. Is that normal?

Like this post
BurrWalnut

Likes # 0

Click the Windows Orb (Start) > All Programs > Administrative Tools > Reliability and Performance Monitor and on the right, click on the drop-down arrow to see what program/service is accessing/using the CPU, Hard Disk, Network or Memory.

Where you have almost permanent hard disk access, it is caused by a number of things. This includes antivirus monitoring and Windows housekeeping, e.g. indexing, checking for interrupts and flushing the file system cache for modified data. This will not shorten the life of the hard disk as much as the number of start and stop operations and the environment the disk is in.

Additionally, in the Reliability and Performance Monitor, click the Reliability Monitor (in the left pane) and the Stability Chart shows the index for a particular date, 10 is good.

Like this post
RJack

Likes # 0

Thanks again will check this out tonight

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

8 cheapest 4G smartphones in the UK 2014: Best budget 4G phones

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Brian Cox to step into will.i.am's shoes with IBC keynote