We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

[HELP] Locked Out

r000t

Likes # 0

Hello,

I have a problem.

I was messing about with Command Prompt (yeah stupid, i know that now) and i accidentally changed the times in which the administrator can logon to never. I didn't know i changed this until i shut the computer down and tried attempting to login again, only to be told that there was time restrictions on the account.

(net user administrator /times: never)

Now, i don't have access to any administrator account on my computer because the built in account is disabled also.

Is there anyway i can change the time details on the administrator account via a limited account? (I KNOW THE PASSWORD TO THE ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT)

Or does anyone know of any tools that will allow me to access the documents on the admin account via the limited account?

Thanks

Like this post
BurrWalnut

Likes # 0

Hmm, straw-clutching but here are a few things to try:

1. Click the Windows Orb (Start), type cmd and press Enter. Now type ‘net user Administrator /active:yes’ (not the quotes but the 3 spaces) and press Enter. Restart the computer and the Administrator account should show on the Welcome screen. Log on to it.

Now go to Control Panel > Classic View > User Accounts, select the Standard account that you use and then click on ‘Change your account type‘. Select the Administrator option and click the ‘Change account type’ button. Exit Control Panel and restart the computer.

To disable the true account, retype the command but change yes to no.

2. Boot into safe mode (tap f8 when you switch on). On the login screen you should see an account called Administrator. When you are logged on, go to Control Panel > Classic View > User Accounts, select the Standard account that you use and then click on ‘Change your account type‘. Select the Administrator option and click the ‘Change account type’ button. Exit Control Panel and restart the computer.

If you cannot access it, try the limited account in safe mode and try upgrading it to ‘Admin’.

Good luck.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 beta leaked ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

How a London VFX studio is ditching desktop workstations for cloud-based creative power

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 tips & tricks: Get to know iOS 8's handy new features