We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Music CD wont burn

BEARBEE

Likes # 0

I have Windows Vista Premium SP2, when I try to burn a CD using tracks from my WMP library, the progress shows that the tracks are being completed correctly and the progress bar goes up as it should and eventually it says completed and the CD is ejected, but there is nothing on the CD.
The CDs are definately blank and when I try to burn a CD of the same batch on my other PC (Windows XP Pro) it does it without any problems, can you help please ?

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

Are you able to burn anything to these CD's on this computer if not it could be the CD-RW that is not working.

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

Have you tried exploring the CD on your XP machine to see if theres anything on it.

Like this post
BEARBEE

Likes # 0

BRYNIT - No I cannot burn anything to CD on this PC, it will read CDs and DVDs from the drive but will not burn to CD.

kevscar - When I explore it on my XP machine it shows that its empty, however it freezes the XP machine. It's as if the Vista machine is doing something to the CDs but not what it should.

I think I'll try using a free CD burning software and see what happens.

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

Sounds like it might be your burner up the shoot if you cannot burn anything.
Try dragging a few pictures to the drive and see if that works.
If not then you need to replace drive.

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

Worth cleaning the lens ?

Like this post
BEARBEE

Likes # 0

Kevscar - I'll try the drag and drop suggestion and let you know what happens.

mooly - How do I do that on a laptop ?

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

Pop the tray open and you will see the optical pickup with the small glass/plastic lens.
They are are very delicate (the lens suspension mounts) so get a pure cotton bud and tease the end of it out.
You should use a proper lens cleaning fluid to very (I mean very very) slightly dampen the bud and using the teased out end gently clean the lens. Use a torch and make sure it looks sparkling.
A lot recommend isopropal alchohol but Sony specifically warned against that (many years ago... I'm an electronics tech)... as it could damage the coating on some lenses. I guess camera lens fluid should be OK or even clean water. Never use a glass cleaner, many contain ammonia.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Framestore recreates ancient China for Mr Bean's martial arts misadventure

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests and more