We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

copying pictures to flash drive

sheila.weston

Likes # 0

I have just bought a Sandisk 4giga flashdrive and am not sure how to use it! I want to copy some folders from my Pictures Folder on the Vista laptop. I right-clicked the folder and copied the files, but when I right-click on the drive there is no option to paste. What have i missed?

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

What I do is to Open the Flash Drive so you can see its contents, Open the folder with your pictures in it then just click and drag them from the picture folder to the flash drive.

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

Start again :)... you open pictures on the laptop, find a file or folder, whatever it is you want to copy and right click it.
Now you will see a box that say's "send to". Put your cursor over it and a new menu appears listing drives and so on. Your flash drive will show as something like "removable drive F or G or something. Just click that and the file goes across.
Now go to "computer" in the start menu (click the orb bottom right) and your flash memory will show as whatever drive it's been allocated, usually "F". Click it and "explore" and your folder will be there. If you want to move it back to the laptop, just right click it and use the "send to" thing again, or drag and drop over to the left pane folders on your PC. Dead easy :)

Like this post
Peter

Likes # 0

Perhaps your flash drive is Write Protected. Some flash drives have a small switch on the side, which prevents writing to the drive or the deletion of files on the drive, if switched on. If your drive has such a switch try sliding it to its other position.

Peter.

Like this post
sheila.weston

Likes # 0

Many thanks, all. Problem sorted now. It worked with dragging the folder/files over. I don't use this option often in case it moves instead of copies.

Like this post
Peter

Likes # 0

If you Right-Click and Hold, instead of Left-Click and Hold when you drag your files, you will get a drop-down menu when you release the right button. This gives you options to Copy, Move, etc so you can chose the one you want.

Peter.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

If you are dragging from folder to folder on the same drive it will Move if you drag from drive to drive it will Copy. If you want to Copy from file to file on the same drive then hold the Ctrl key down while you drag.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Gear S (Solo) curved-screen smartwatch confirmed: release date, price and specs UK

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

Apple 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review and the mystery of the processor benchmarks