We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New to Windows 7

Pine Man

Likes # 0

I have two identical hard drives on the same PC controlled by a boot manager. Vista Home Premium 32bit SP2 takes 1 minute 20 seconds to boot up and windows 7 takes 50 seconds to boot up to the same state.

Originally I tried an upgrade from Vista to windows 7 but it was an absolute disaster. It took nearly 3 hours and hardly anything worked properly. A clean install was a breeze and took about 20 minutes. All my hardware and broadband were working immediately with drivers installed by Windows 7. It couldn’t have been easier and all of my software loaded without problem except Norton UAC (more about that later).

As far as speed goes it certainly boots faster and Internet Explorer 8 loads faster than it does in Vista. I cannot understand, for the life of me, why UAC has been retained in the state that it is. Microsoft had the ideal opportunity to modify it to work in the same way as Norton UAC so that it has a ‘memory’ and can be 'educated'. Hopefully Norton will upgrade their software in time.

Overall I can see no real advantage in upgrading from Vista to Windows 7. I have been very lucky, apparently, and had over two years of faultless, smooth and stable service from Vista and see no real point in paying around £100, I suspect, for Windows 7.

One thing that I still haven’t been able to find is the ability to modify startup programs. In Vista you have the ability to open up a list of startup programs in Windows Defender but I’m blowed if I can find out how to do it in Windows 7.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

in Windows 7."

Click on 'Start' and type: msconfig into the search box. Then click on the file icon that appears.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Many thanks for that.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Contactless payments to launch on London public transport this year

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

NASA offers free 3D models of satellites, probes and planets for 3D printing and animation projects