We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Vista SP2 components?

keith mac

Likes # 0

I'm always wary of service packs and SP2 is a huge download without many obvious benefits beyond SP1 - reading postings there's been a few problems too - not unusual.

I've read in one of the mags (maybe PCA, I read others too) that system start up time is improved and this IS an attraction. Can other users confirm a quicker start up time in everyday use?

If so, and/or if there are any other useful components, is it possible to download just these components instead of the full service pack?

Alternatively, will Vista SP2 be available from MS like XP SP1 used to be?

Like this post
keith mac

Likes # 0

mooly

Yes I had already read your other thread on update file sizes - quite a shocker.

Files often have the icon shown in the very top left corner of the %SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.dll library - they appear in a number of folders within documents and I've half-heartedly tried to get the original style back. But I don't knowing how without researching the task.

I often change individual Folder icons - and this works without problem - but I need to be able to do that for a large number at one go. For instance in my 'Photos' main folder - displaying a self-selected camera icon - I have a load of photo folders alphabetically arranged and each folder now has this default Windows folder. It doesn't really matter too much but modern styles are less jarring on the eye! And I hate not being able to control my computer!

Any help would be much welcomed.

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

Erm... your folders, now I'm no expert at all on this, but do you mean the Icons you choose from right clicking a folder and selecting properties/customize and selecting an icon from the list isn't working ? and you just get that default square with half a dozen coloured blobs in it.
I think you mean there's more to it than that, BUT I had a problem of one desktop icon always reverting to that, just looking for the thread on it now.

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

This was it,
click here
I never did solve the problem, but since all the updates and SP2 it's been fine, never reverted once.

Like this post
keith mac

Likes # 0

mooly

Yes it's as you've described it - right click, Properties, 'Customize'tab, Change Icon, etc. and as in the topic thread. Weird eh?

I have some 'proper' program icons, for instance, in the 'Start' button, 'All Programs' sections - all listed alphabetically.

But then going down from the bottom of those, again alphabetically, I have 'Accessories', 'Administrative Tools' etc. right down to 'Zoner Photo Studio' and the icons are all these crummy, little, default style ones.

If I do a 'Change Icon' sequence, some icons will stick, others don't. For example, the blue question mark from the Shell32.dll will stick but a simple yellow folder - the one to the right of the 'dotty' odd one in the same dll - won't work. Some will, some won't but I still don't know how to effect a block change even if I can find a suitable icon which would stay!

Not to worry - if there's no other solution than Service Pack 2 - I'll just live with it. And yet it didn't used to be that way....

Did a patch screw up the system in the first place I wonder - that happened to me with 'Sleep' mode. Mine used to work a treat until I applied a routine Microsoft patch ages ago. After that it never worked reliably again and I discontinued using the 'Sleep' mode.

Other than SP2 I've applied every patch Microsoft have offered/recommended.

Like this post
jakimo

Likes # 0

If you regularly update then SP2 may not be all that big,as only missing files will be installed i.e. I downloaded SP2 last week and only 99MB was needed

Like this post
keith mac

Likes # 0

jakimo

Yes I expected only part of the pack would be needed but the complete download would be necessary, surely, for Windows to select the relevant parts during installation?

And in the 99 Meg file block your system installed there would probably be stuff that's of no relevance for me - like HD support.

I really only want the bits which would be useful for ME, not everything that Microsoft offers when I have no need and no likelihood of a future need...

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

Never taken much note of the start menu tbh, but mine is as you describe, proper icons until you get to accessories, then all beige coloured folders. Never thought of changing these icons.
My problem was with the desktop shortcut reverting. I'm one of those who has a desktop full of icons... all logically arranged of course :)
Agree about MS patches and updates. One nearly from nearly two years back stopped a Bluetooth mouse working. I could restore back and all was well, so disabled that update but MS "incorporated" it into another one a while later.
Sleep... it works OK BUT, on resuming, the CPU is never idle, it's constantly "hunting" between aroun 3 and 30%, haven't a clue what it's doing, but it's enough to keep the fan on most of the time, which on a laptop defeats the object somewhat of saving power. Having a good moan aren't we ?

Like this post
keith mac

Likes # 0

mooly

Yes I know what you mean about sleep - mine would go off OK but was a bu**er to wake up successfully.

In 'Accessories' and following I have all those odd folders and yet I'm sure they changed fairly recently from the traditional yellow ones. Annoying but I've had far worse!! These odd ones are dotted around in all kinds of places they didn't use to be. I'll get them sorted one day!

There's a fix for the lost desktop shortcut which I can't now find the details of - I think it was from PCA Help forums or the magazine - you probably already have it???

A good moan sometimes help relieve frustration and stops you feeling quite so paranoid that it's only you who has the problem....

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Watch this heartwarming Christmas short by Trunk for composer John Rutter

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad