We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

W7 64Bit installation problem

tigertop2

Likes # 0

I have downloaded and installed the 32 Bit W7 OS on one PC. Liked it so much so thought I would try the 64Bit on another. I have spent most of today trying to get it to install on . It refuses to start the proces and the boot up screen sticks at the 'press any key to start installation' bit

I have tried 3 different downloads, checked that the PC is booting from the CD and ensured that the clean and empty hard drive is the target and the other 2 Hard drives on this PC are disabled but cannot fathom out what I am doing wrong. I can see the ISO file on the DVD but it will not install

I would like to wake up tomorrow and see the answer if anyone can suggest one please

Thanks and goodnight

Like this post
laurie53

Likes # 0

Like you I liked the 32 bit version so much I tried the 64 bit.

No problem installing, but having persevered for a week I found it so flaky and unstable that I have now uninstalled it and gone back to the 32 bit version.

Can't help with your particular problem, but perhaps the 64 bit version is not quite as ready for release as the 32.

Like this post
tigertop2

Likes # 0

Thanks laurie53
I am not sure what the problem is but you might be right. I am going to keep trying unless someone comes up with a possible answer. I have not exhausted all the help sites yet and maybe I will find a clue somewhere. The 32bit system is a pleasure to use after XP ansd Vista. Just hope I can afford the final release version when it comes out. If I do get a solution to this problem I will post it for all to see

Like this post
AndySD

Likes # 0

I know this sounds obvious but does the PC have a 64 bit processor?

I have had no problems at all with the 64 bit operating system that are worth mentioning.

Like this post
tigertop2

Likes # 0

AndySD

I am trying to load it on an Asus P6T deluxe with an IntelCorei7 920 CPU. I see no reason why it should not load on that.

I haven't had time to play with it today but am suspicious that the DVD may not have recorded properly to allow an exe installation operation. I downloaded the 64bit version on a W7 enabled RC PC and used ISOBUSTER as the transfer to DVD software. Maybe I will try a down load on an XP machine which I used for my original 32 bit download and which installed OK after burning with CDBurnerXP

Like this post
bjh

Likes # 0

.. really does seem to have limited driver support, possibly it will improve by release date. I suspect from my own experience that it might even lack some support for some motherboards. Maybe not too surprising, given the greater integration onto motherboards of so many components.

My own experience? Win7 32 bit installed perfectly on all 3 machines, installed drivers for printer/scanner, wireless network, webcam, etc all without my intervention. 100% success. Did the same 3 computers with Win7 64 bit, only one computer fully up and running, no printer drivers, webcam failed...

Like this post
dms_05

Likes # 0

I was thinking of installing W7 64 bit after having used the W7 Beta and RC1 for several months. I wanted to try ahead of ordering at a pre-release price in a couple of weeks. However it looks as if W7 64 bit is a bit like Vista 32 bit was at launch. Pity I'd really have liked to try and possibly switch as I use Linux 64 bit without a problem. It's staggering that Ubuntu and others can manage a fully functioning 64 bit free OS but MS can't manage it with a very expensive equivalent.

Like this post
tigertop2

Likes # 0

That's interesting DMS_05

I have tried a number of times since posting my original concerns about W7 64bit. Maybe I am unlucky but I can't seem to get it sorted. It will be interesting to see if it is released together with the final 32 bit OS

Like this post
PAC1

Likes # 0

I installed the 32bit version first. So impressed i installed 64bit version on seperate partition.
Know problems so far, everything works.

Like this post
tigertop2

Likes # 0

Sounds good Pac1. However I think I will wait until I get the 22nd October release before trying it again. Having said that I am sure it has probably settled down OK. The 32bit W7 RC is a delight to use and I never thought I would say that about a new MS OS!

Like this post
jamesd1981

Likes # 0

hi tiger top it sounds like you have some how copied the original iso file you downloaded to the disc if its done properly there shouldnt be an iso on the install disc trying using iso burner its freeware it does the whole process just point it to your original iso download file and then burn it to disc and you will have a bootable win7 installation disc

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 review: The best iPad mini and Nexus 7 rival tablet around

IDG UK Sites

Which Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

Samsung lights up London skyline with Midnight Rainbow