We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

PCA 'How To' and Conficker

keith mac

Likes # 0

I try not to be paranoid about security while at the same time trying to follow PC Advisor's advice.

In PCA, issue 169, August, there is advice for disabling AutoPlay in connection with Conficker. (page 116)

I followed the link and read Microsoft's instructions for disabling Autoplay in Vista requiring registry editing. I presume that disabling AutoPlay completely from Control Panel will not stop Conficker changing the settings?

I'm an ordinary computer user and always follow advice to stay out of the Registry unless you know what you're doing. But it seems AutoPlay can't be disabled without removing the appropriate Registry entries?

I use AVG antivirus and all MS updates are up-to-date save for Vista SP2.

Should I be concerned by Conficker?

Should I go into the Registry to change settings?

Is the creation of a Restore Point directly before making changes the required 'registry backup'?

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

If you are fully up to date and using a good security package I wouldn't worry.
If you do alter the registry creating a restore point is a wise move.
Have a look in windows own help and support in your start menu. Search under registry. That tells you how to "export" or back up and save the key you are working on.

Like this post
keith mac

Likes # 0

Is the creation of a Restore Point equivalent to exporting the original registry keys before making changes?

Or is there more to it? I got the impression that a System Restore brought the registry back to its former state if problems emerge - is it that simple?

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

Does it save and export all the rgistry keys ? Not 100% sure on that. I have never liked system restore, to me it's neither one thing nor the other. Yes it can help undo problems, the fact that it can be used for example, to remove troublesome updates etc shows it does more than just registry changes. The problems come later, in 3 months if you had a problem, you don't want to be restoring just parts of your system back... that's the way I look at it. I have restore points turned off, and use Acronis.
What I would do as you have Vista is use the snipping tool to take a screen shot of the keys before you alter them. Then if you are not happy you can manually alter them all back, or use the "merge" on exported keys and verify yourself that all is back as it was.

Like this post
keith mac

Likes # 0

Sounds like a lot of work without any obvious benefit in making any changes in the first place...

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

If you know where the USB sticks, DVD's and CD have come from and they have not touched an infected computer then there should not be a problem. My USB sticks are used between computers I trust and therefore I haven't disabled autorun.
IMO people get viruses becasue they haven't kept Windows up to date, don't have an up to date anti-virus program (data base updated) and click on unsafe sites, download dodgy material, open e-mails that they shouldn't and then click on things and are generally not that careful.

Like this post
keith mac

Likes # 0

I'm glad you've said this Woolwell - it's a situation of "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing"

We're constantly being told to watch out for whatever but it's hard to know if there's a real risk if we're not getting involved in dangerous activities - like you I suspect not a risk most of the time. But just a moment's distraction might lead to an infection.

In the meantime I'll keep the global 'AutoPlay' setting unticked so I have to think about what I'm doing with anything I stick in my machine!!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite