We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

On line purchase of OEM 64 Bit Vista Premium

MOMORRIS

Likes # 0

Any suggestions on a site, to purchase a Windows Vista Home Premium 64-Bit Edition OEM DVD. It doesn't have to have the key as I have a legitimate Key supplied with my new PC. I have a backup DVD set to revert back to factory settings, but just prefer to have a disc for clean installs if required. Any Ideas, Many Thanks. My PC OEM is unable to supply, well thats what they say.

Like this post
citadel

Likes # 0

genuine oem comes with a key, scan.co.uk

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

must be supplied with a key. You can't buy a legitimate copy without one.

OEM software licences are linked to the computer on which the software is installed - you cannot legally transfer the licence to a different machine, or use an installation key with more than one copy of the software.

Under the terms of your licence you are allowed to make your own backup copy of the software - you don't have to buy another copy.

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

Whats wrong with the restore disc, it does everything the OEM will do plus sets all the factory settings. With an OEM you would have to find, download and install all the manufacturers drivers for your componnts.

Like this post
MOMORRIS

Likes # 0

Many Thanks all

Like this post
gazzaho

Likes # 0

Under the terms of your licence you are allowed to make your own backup copy of the software - you don't have to buy another copy.

Would you be able to borrow a disk from a friend and make a copy then use it with your own key? Is there any reason you couldn't that? I can't see any reason for not being able to do it, I'm just wondering.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

If you buy a computer with a factory-installed OEM version the Vista files will all be on a separate partition on the hard drive, and you may make a back-up copy from there.

If you buy a standalone OEM copy of Vista you are licensed to install it on one new computer only, and of course you wouldn't need a backup - you have the original disk.

The only circumstance in which you might contemplate borrowing someone else's OEM disk is if you a) lost your own, and your hard drive was in some way corrupted, or b) you never had a disk in the first place, and you had forgotten to make a copy from your computer's hard drive.

In either of those situations I don't think you would find Microsoft lawyers beating your door down, as long as you only installed the software on the original (licensed) computer, using the key that was stuck to the case when you bought it.

Like this post
gazzaho

Likes # 0

Thanks, I understand what you mean but say you bought a computer with Windows pre-installed and no physical OS disk, only factory restore backup disk/s. You would have to install what the manufacturer decided they wanted you to install, including all the annoying trial programs that usually come with new machines, plus if you change or upgrade hardware then the drivers on the factory restore disks will be the wrong ones. While this is no big deal for notebooks as they tend to keep the same hardware over their lifetime, a desktop is different as things can change like graphics cards, sound cards and so forth.

There are at least two reasons for having a physical OS disk I can think of, I may be wrong but you can't for instance slipstream a DVD with service pack updates or drivers specific to your machine if you only have factory restore disks and you can't create the likes of a BartPE emergency boot disk as it asks you to insert the Windows OS disk to do this, although this might have changed as it's been a few years from I tried to make one.

Perhaps I'm wrong in what I've said as I'm in no way an expert, if so then I apologize, but I do believe there are valid reasons for having a physical OS disk. Although as you say if you only install it on the one computer and only use the original key then the piracy police are unlikely to pay you a visit.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...