We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

W7 RC on drive 2 problem

Quiet Life

Likes # 0

I loaded W7 intending to put it on the first partition on the second drive. However it did not show second drive as a choice. So I loaded it on the second partition on drive 1.
W7 worked well but XP on the first partition developed faults with sound and video. The Webcam said it was being used by an other application and moviemaker had many faults.
Clean installed XP on first partition on drive1 and created a larger partition for W7 on drive2.
Again W7 did not see 2nd drive. I had previously created a similar dual boot system with Vista on the same partitions as above without any problems. Is there a way round my problem?

Like this post
Ashrich

Likes # 0

Is drive 2 set as a master or a slave ?

Ashley

Like this post
Quiet Life

Likes # 0

Drive 1 is master.
Did not have a problem installing Vista on drive 2.
Does W7 leave a file on drive C when it does a lot of work upto the point when you can select a drive and then cancel? C drive seems to be getting rsther full,

Like this post
Quiet Life

Likes # 0

Will try elsewhere.

Like this post
GrumpyTrucker

Likes # 0

I had a similar problem when I tried to reinstall 7 after I was getting repeated 'cannot access drive, file system appears to be corrupt' messages. When I recreated the partition for 7 and put the disc in (running the install from within Vista so not booting from the DVD) the list of available drives/partitions did not include the one I'd just created.

Now this will no doubt be the daftest question anyone's ever asked, but did you create a drive on the partition? I only ask becasue that was my problem. I'd created the partition but left it as unallocated space - i.e like a virgin drive. I expected the install to allow me to pick it, then it would create the drive & format as required. It didn't. I had to create a drive on it (Primary) then the Win 7 setup could see it - although I didn't have to format it, just create the drive.

If this doesn't help, then my apologies but it was wrong when it happened here.

Like this post
Quiet Life

Likes # 0

Thanks your reply.I think that my problem is a bit different.
The second drive, that does not show, has three primary partitions The first on which I intended to install W7 has now a clone of XP. This was done before I installed W7 so I change the boot order to run it. The other two partitions contain various files.
Why W7 refuses to see this drive is a mystery.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon,...

IDG UK Sites

Why are people still buying satnavs? Smartphones are the modern satnav

IDG UK Sites

New Star Wars trailer: Watch the VFX-laden teaser for The Force Awakens

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers UPDATED