We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Vista SP2 stops recognition of wireless card

ce79

Likes # 0

On installing SP2, after the reboot my wireless network adaptor is no longer recognised.

In Network Diagnostics etc the network card cannot be found, let alone fixed! However, in Device Manager it is apparently working fine.

Further reboots didn't fix.
The only solution was to use System Restore to get rid of SP2. Instantly on reboot all was happy :-)

I guess I can live happily without SP2 for the moment, but wondered if anyone else has had a similar problem, or has a solution?
Dell Inspiron 1525, running Avast antivirus, with Intel PRO 3945/ABG wireless card.

Like this post
Ashrich

Likes # 0

Go to the Intel site and download the very latest drivers for the card .

Ashley

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

I found after SP2 that it took ages to connect, about 2 to 3 mins, even after several starts.
Fixed mine by right clicking the wireless icon and selecting "diagnose and repair". It found no fault but offered to send report, I accepted. and it's been perfect ever since.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

I have the same intel wifi and found a new updated driver click here

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

intel link

click here

Like this post
ce79

Likes # 0

Thanks for your replies - Diagnose and Repair did nothing at all with mine. However I have found a newer driver (from 11.1.1.3 to 12.4.0.0) and will see how that goes!

Like this post
ce79

Likes # 0

Got the latest Intel driver, re-installed SP2 and still have exactly the same wireless card issue.
According to the Intel diagnostic tool, the card is "disabled or not present", but according to Device Manager it is working normally. The Windows 'Diagnose and Repair' can't fix it.
Any further thoughts? Thanks!

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

have you tried the dell helpline?

Like this post
ce79

Likes # 0

I've emailed but heard nothing back yet. Will phone when I get some free moments in the daytime, and let you know where I get to.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

if its not a rip off 09 number give them a ring, if its like sony support they never reply I still waiting a reply since dec08 despite chase ups.

Like this post
ce79

Likes # 0

Spent an hour on phone with Dell guy, who recommended BIOS update. We actually did that while I was on phone - it hasn't fixed it.
In the end (after a lot of other fiddling around) he said it was a Windows problem and there was nothing more he could do.
So I am now rolled back to pre-SP2 again and biding my time!
I wonder whether re-installing SP2 *on top of* the BIOS update (rather than the other way round) might help. Does it sound worth the bother?!
I will also keep installing other Windows Updates and see whether anything else makes it worse (or better).
Thanks for all your help so far, do let me know if inspiration strikes.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia