We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Vista OEM reinstalls

sunnystaines

Likes # 0

My vista oem disc has only been used once to originally install vista.

My HDD is starting to run out of free space a new larger HDD will be required.

Are their any limits these days on how often windows can be installed on the same pc with a microsoft OEM disc.

I knew W.98 & XP were unlimited but sure I read ages ago about restrictions with vista.

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

I can't answer that question, but do you run Acronis True Image? If so, you could clone your system to a new HDD.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

I have vista ultimate image of the C drive. but did not want to restore from repair option as I want to organise bigger partitions on a new drive.

i was going to install vista on new drive organise partitions then restore back up from secondry drive with the backup image using vistas own restore backup.

thats why I need to know if I can use the OEM again and if so how many times.

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 0

"thats why I need to know if I can use the OEM again and if so how many times."

So far, I have used mine (OEM Vista Ultimate) 3 times.

Now use Acronis True Image.

Like this post
mrwoowoo

Likes # 0

At one point there was mention from Microsoft of a 10 times reinstall maximum.
In reality though there is no limit.
Vista only checks the serial key against the computer hardware to make sure it's the original install pc.As this is the only check it makes your reinstalls are limitless.
If you change your motherboard or i believe three other components,then you will have to make a grovelling phone call to Microsoft to reinstall it.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

thanks everyone for the advice

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Complete guide to iPhone and iPad settings: Get to know iOS 8 Settings UPDATED