We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Vista reinstall = Games no longer installing?

fbadt

Likes # 0

Hi all,
Wondered if anyone could help me with a vista problem. Recently my Vista 32-bit corrupted & I had to do a complete harddrive wipe & reinstall for vista and all the drivers, including downloading the latest driver from ATI for my card (I have a 512MB ATI Radeon 4850 Graphics card). When it came to reinstalling my games several no longer install. For example MOH Airborne shows the install screen, asks for the reg.key then install screen starts but then just disappears as if it never happened. next time it asks for the reg.key as if I didn't the first time. other games install but then just hang while trying to start and some come up with Runtime C+++ error or something? Yet other much older games which had never run in the original (Dell installed) Vista install such as Messiah and Star Trek Elite Force run fine. It's not all recent games that aren't loading, just a few that were perfectly fine first time around. Anyone have clue as to why that would happen? Anyone have any idea what's going on/what I'm doing wrong?
Thanks!

Like this post
mrwoowoo

Likes # 0

Click on the start orb and then programmes and see if there is an Nvidia tab there.
If there is double click on it and disableAgeia Physx.
I know it,s a long shot as you have an ATI card but stranger things have happened.
Also you could try uninstalling it in programmes and features.

Like this post
fbadt

Likes # 0

Hi,
sorry for the late reply, been away.
You're a genius! found Nvidia Physx in the programmes, didn't have any way of disabling it, was just an info tab, but found it in uninstall programmes and did so, the disc then seened to reinstall it and the game, which runs fine! must be something nVidia have hard-wired into the disc? anyway, its running great, thanks for your help, really do appreciate it.
I'm assuming the problems with SW Republic (C++ error every time the disc runs) and No One Lives Forever 2 (No sound FX) are compatability problems with Vista, guess wait until they rock up on Steam?! Given up on Dreamfall too, can't figure out how to get it past the UAC issue, but at least I got to play a couple of ten yr old games again!
cheers again, fbt

Like this post
mrwoowoo

Likes # 0

nolf 2
there a config tool that comes with the game, such as a config exe in the start menu. when it is installed, you may have to tell the program in this way which audio device to use for audio. (could be in the menus somewhere)
Also,the game would need to be played in compatability mode for windows 95 or 98.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia