We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

RC problem...

oldnbold

Likes # 0

I put RC over Vista home (32 bit) and it went well. Issues with skype and the webcam but it seems very nice. but since then - I close down, all is well. Next day, power up, Internet and Outlook don't connect. Into network safe mode, roll back to latest check point (always a critical update), machine comes back up with a black screen (Win 7 build number in white text)for maybe 10 minutes then suddenly all is well. This repeats reliably after every power down. I've switched off auto update. Any expert thoughts? it's driving me barmy.

Like this post
BurrWalnut

Likes # 0

To check if a particular program is slowing the machine when you switch on, go to Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Performance Information and Tools > Advanced Tools (in the left pane).

On this screen the problem is sometimes shown. If not, click View Performance Details in Event Log (Event Viewer). Events in the 100 series are boot events and can be followed up by double-clicking them, then clicking Event Log Online at the bottom.

Like this post
oldnbold

Likes # 0

Thanks very much BurrWalnut. I looked at the log; lots of entries, most relating to USB drivers but one long !1017854ms) delay associated with a 100 boot event.

I guess that the lesson is that only experts should play with beta or RC products as problems are to be expected. But to show the level of my ignorance, I can't understand why an apparently excellently performing system can be shut down without problems but be in a completely different state when later powered up again. My initial assumption - that some dodgy update was being automatically performed at shutdown now seems to be incorrect given that the auto update has been turned off. Pity really, Win 7 looks and feels nicer than Vista and is certainly faster.

Like this post
BurrWalnut

Likes # 0

Sadly, it could be caused by a lot of things. Here are a few more things to try:

1. Restore the system to a date before the Windows Updates were installed or when the machine was behaving. If you don’t have a restore point, uninstall the Updates.

2. Look at the Action Center from Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Action Center (or right-click the icon in the Notification Area).

In the left pane Archived Messages and Performance Information can be viewed.

In the main window, click the drop down arrow alongside Maintenance to Check for solutions to problems, Backup, Troubleshooting and View system history.

In View system history, click on a particular day to see the events and the stability, 10 is good. Also, at the bottom, click View problem reports and responses for more information.

3. Explore Event Viewer a little closer. Click the Windows Orb (Start) > All Programs > Accessories, right-click Command Prompt then ‘Run as Administrator’. Copy/Paste or type wevtutil qe Microsoft-Windows-Diagnostics-Performance/Operational /f:text > %userprofile%\Desktop\Event.txt (note the five spaces) and press Enter.

If you Copy and Paste the command, use mouse right-click to Paste it into the prompt. Close the command prompt and double-click Event.txt on the Desktop to open it. Go to the end of the file (Ctrl+End) to see the most recent events. Those with an Event ID in the 100 series are the ones you are concerned with. The 200 series are shut down events.

Repeat 3 above but change the log file to Hardware, Disk and System respectively. Remember that Event.txt will be overwritten each time, so view it before doing subsequent runs. Here are the commands:
wevtutil qe HardwareEvents /f:text > %userprofile%\Desktop\Event.txt
wevtutil qe Microsoft-Windows-DiskDiagnostic/Operational /f:text > %userprofile%\Desktop\Event.txt
wevtutil qe system /f:text > %userprofile%\Desktop\Event.txt

4. Run the System File Checker (SFC) from an elevated Command Prompt, i.e. click the Windows Orb (Start) > All Programs > Accessories and right-click Command Prompt, then ‘Run as Administrator’. Type sfc /scannow (note the space) and press Enter. This may take some time and, depending upon your installation of Windows, you may have to put the DVD in the drive.

SFC appends its results to a log file named CBS.log, which is located in the \Windows\Logs\CBS folder. Use Notepad to read it (you may need to run Notepad as the Administrator).

To find the errors, go to the end of the file (Ctrl+End) then use ‘Find’ (Ctrl+F) to check for the words 'cannot repair', use search ‘Up’ to search upwards from the end of the file.

5. Final straw, repair or reinstall.

Good luck.

Like this post
oldnbold

Likes # 0

Thanks again for the very comprehensive help. I ploughed through and learned a lot but failed to resolve the business of losing services on powering up after a normal shutdown. So I took your last advice and rebuilt - back to Vista. Nothing against WIN 7 though, it looks and feels a nice OS and I shall certainly upgrade when it goes commercial and all the drivers are available.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Swatch to release its own line of smartwatches to rival iWatch

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

The 7 most ridiculous iPhone 6 rumours: what Apple WON'T reveal on 9 September