We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

default programs for download

sloan_5

Likes # 0

How do I change the default program Windows uses for a download?

I'm running Vista on a Dell laptop, which came preloaded with Microsoft Works. I later paid the extra to get the Office programs Word and Excel.

But if I try to download something off the Internet and I click the open button on the window after the file arrives, it automatically uses the Works word processor. This doesn't format correctly for many files if you need to add to them once they arrive.

I've changed the default program for a file opening directly off the PC, but this isn't working for the downloads.

This is driving my partner crazy. If I'm home I'll save the file, then find it and open it with Word, but it's really ridiculous to have to go through this rigamarole, and it's becoming a frequent source of conflict.

Help! Is there a way to change the program default for the downloads?

cheers

sloan

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

Right click on the icon > open with > choose program (right at the bottom ignore suggested list) you will then get a list of programs with a tick box at the bottom always use this program for this file type, tick box first then choose word

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

Uninstall works

Like this post
sloan_5

Likes # 0

OK it seems to be sorted now.

the key was in the Default programs area, Associate a file type with a program

the problem is, the file type I needed to associate was .dochtml which I hadn't recognised before.

got enough help to figure out the answer through the Microsoft Vista forums, one of the Social Answers ones (not so technical there, I guess, I really didn't want to be editing the registry)

thanks all

sloan

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

Who said anything about editing registry???

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon Fire HD 6 is a really good value tablet. The Amazon Fire HD 7 isn't. Amazon Fire HD 6 and...

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

ACLU's Halloween-themed animation warns of dangers of ignoring threats to your privacy

IDG UK Sites

20 lesser-known tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert