We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Vista reinstallation

skidojnr

Likes # 0

I bought a new laptop last year from PC WORLD with vista pre-loaded,however there was no cd or anything else with it. Anyway, a few weeks after my warranty expired, my hard drive went south so i had to buy a new hard drive.Luckily, i had a backup of my data files but unfortunately not the OS. My problem now is do i have to buy vista a fresh as i didn't have a backup before my prevoius harddrive crashed? please help!!!

Like this post
gazzaho

Likes # 0

If your laptop came without a physical Windows installation disk, then it should have had some information on how to do a factory restore in the event of a corrupted OS.

Some manufacturers allow you to burn a recovery disk/disks when you first boot the machine which you can then use to "recover" your system. Other manufacturers use a partition on the hard drive to store the recovery files and yet others use a combination of both.

I would try contacting either PC World or the manufacturer of your laptop and explain what happened and how to go about doing a factory restore, they would be able to give you the best advice on what to do. As the original hard drive is dead the recovery partition option, if one was used, is also gone but you might be able to buy DVD disks from the manufacturer to restore rather than pay for a new Vista OS.

Like this post
smackheadz

Likes # 0

what make of laptop is it?if it is hp or compaq you can order a set of disks for your model from the hp website.

Like this post
skidojnr

Likes # 0

Thank you guys. being trying to order the disks from hp website for the best part of 2 hours and am just absolutely frustrated. anyway, will try again later. once again, thanks for help guys. much appreciated. have a nice day!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, price, specs and new features: Invite confirms 9 September launch

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: iPhone launch event confirmed for 9...