We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 7 warning

mike280

Likes # 0

I downloaded Windows 7 and upgraded Vista. My default folders location is on my second drive D. The installation went smoothly enough until I went to my default music folder. All my album folders were there but all the mp3 files had gone from inside, when I checked the same had happen to my photographs in my picture folder. I used the backup I made before installing 7 but to my horror the files were still missing! I was lucky to find the solution this morning. If you go to folder options and tick the box "show hidden files and folders" then go to your second drive,you will find a folder called "$INPLACE~TR" In this folder you should find the files that are missing. I hope this will be of help, and save you time and worry!
HappyMike

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

I did a custom install from within XP and all of my data on the second drive was untouched and all of the documents from all users is in a folder called old windows in the C drive infact in XP for some reason my main drive with windows was F and the second hard drive was G and they have remained the same.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 beta leaked ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

How a London VFX studio is ditching desktop workstations for cloud-based creative power

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: How to buy an iPhone 6 today