We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 7 Upgrade

bht-at-home

Likes # 0

Hi,

I am about to purchase a new PC, but I am not sure whether it is worth waiting until Windows 7 is released.

The alternative is to purchase now, with Vista, and purchase Windows 7 Upgrade, when it is released.

I would be grateful for advice concerning the likely complexity of installing the upgrade:

Is this straightforward;

What is involved;

Is it likely that I will need new drivers.

Will it be as simple as installing a large Service Pack

Like this post
jampit

Likes # 0

Has anyone had the porblem that befell me? When I tried to upgrade from the W7Beta to RC, even though I choose the correct partition, my Windows Vista was overwritten!! I have ended with two versions of 7 and no Vista. All my software and docs have disappeared (into Windows .old apparently)!!
How can I get rid of the unwanted 7 Beta?
Is it worthwhile getting Vista back?

Like this post
bounce44

Likes # 0

Lol.

Most are now offering a "free upgrade", some are charging £10-£15 for the voucher when bought with a Vista system.

If people misread my opneing post, i apologise, but unless they have been living on another planet, then i thought it was clearly obvious that W7 would not be on offer on the Friday.

My whole point of the post, was that if you had bought a system on that day this thread was started, for the sake of 48 hours you would get a free(or small charge) upgrade to W7. You would have to pay £75(bit more than that) if you bought a system before friday, that is around half the price of W7.

So if anyone put off buying a system for the 48 hours, they will have saved well over £50.

Reason i keep posting, is because the other guy seems to want to make out i was wrong and i was doing something bad. When infact the total opposite.

Like this post
a member

Likes # 0

Bounce44
technically you were both right , your original post was misleading as it had the words (free upgrade) had you included the word voucher it would have been clearer to all who read it that there would have been a delay between the upgrade(VOUCHER) and the actual upgrade becoming available . the FE was only pointing that out ,although you did not put any untrue content in your post you did omit .
these days vouchers are often given when buying products ,and in most cases the vouchers can be redeamed immediately .
in microsofts case the (voucher) is useless until Oct 22 .
my first impression from your first post was that you thought win 7 would be available in upgrade form from Friday . I quickly dismiss the idea and understood your post because I already Knew better .but a lost of readers could also get the wrong Idea .
and rush out to buy A new PC .
you also mentioned that (the company you buy a PC will offer a free upgrade) your words, That also could mislead the readers who knew nothing of Win 7 previousely.

so ,please.....pretty please ,could we call it a draw ,for the sake of this Forum ,and my sanity.

Like this post
Charla

Likes # 0

bht-at-home Do not believe half of what the contributors tell you on here. Check it out yourself. The Windows 7 free upgrade deal started 26th June but not if you buy a laptop with Vista Basic.

Like this post
bounce44

Likes # 0

What are you on about?

I stated several posts above you obviously misread what i meant in going "live". I never claimed anywhere a full release was friday, i was just stating that from that day on, you should get a free upgrade voucher, if a seller does not offer it go elsewhere.

Why would you even think i meant a full version was on sale, when every man & dog knows it's not for months.

I QUOTE YOU

"As for free upgrades from Windows Vista it's also incorrect to state that all new PCs sold after Friday will come with one. There obviously will be some form of free upgrade scheme, but no official announcement has yet been made. Telling people to 'go elsewhere' if a supplier doesn't offer a free upgrade after Friday is unhelpful."

Like i said, the free upgrade would be offered by most on friday and i was correct. If you had bought a PC day before then you would not got the free upgrade offer. Which reason i told people to hold out for few days. And it was goood advice to go eslewhere if not offered the free upgrade from friday onwards.

Just accept you was wrong, and stop reading something that aint there. Jesus.....

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Dealers can make any kind of offer they like, when they like. The fact is, Microsoft will provide a free upgrade if you buy a new computer from any participating OEM supplier as from yesterday.

What you'll get is a voucher, entitling you to claim your upgrade after October 22nd - the Windows 7 launch date.

What I wanted to do was make it clear that Windows 7 did NOT 'go live' on Friday, as was claimed by a previous poster.

Like this post
laurie53

Likes # 0

Surely a dealer can offer free upgrades to Windows 7, 8, 9 and 10 if they want, as long as they comply with Microsoft's licensing requirements?

That doesn't mean the software is going to actually be available any time soon.

Like this post
kcstar98

Likes # 0

Hear this:

HP today announced it will offer the Microsoft Windows® 7 operating system on consumer and business PCs beginning Oct. 22.

To meet customers’ computing needs while protecting their investments, the company is participating in the Windows Upgrade Option Program to help customers transition easily to Windows 7. The program will enable customers who purchase qualifying HP PCs to enjoy the benefits of a new Windows-based PC immediately and receive a free upgrade to Windows 7 when it becomes available in October.

Looks it's true, my friend.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I give up, I really do.

Like this post
bounce44

Likes # 0

I never said there was a hurry. I just stated don't buy a computer from a company if they don't offer this, which you pulled me up on.

You just confirmed that, and also confirmed what i said about free upgrade today(friday)!!

So i was right in all i said.....

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?