We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

XP to Windows 7 upgrade

chub_tor

Likes # 0

I have a PC which currently has Win XP on one partition and Vista on the other (both are 250Gb partitions on a 500Gb hard drive. I am finding that I never use the XP partition anymore and I am considering upgrading that partition to Windows 7 RC1 so that I can evaluate it before the final release comes out.

There seems to be some confusion as to whether or not you can do a direct upgrade to Windows 7 from XP. Has anyone tried it and what are the pitfalls?

Like this post
Tech Guy

Likes # 0

I am sure it has to be a clean install when coming from XP, so make sure you back up before you start.

But you can install 7 from XP

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

If you put the disc in from within XP and when it auto runs choose install then custom which will install Win 7 but you will loose XP. All of your documents and settings will be saved in your C drive under the heading "Old Windows" from there I managed to copy and paste all of my favourites etc into the relevant folders

Like this post
ambra4

Likes # 0

Window 7 is just a Vista upgraded to a more stable and user friendly OS for Vista and XP uses to

Upgrade

There should be no problems with driver’s just use the Vista drivers

You can also installing old software in Win 7 as there is “Compatibility Mode” Build in to Win 7

for software from 95 to Vista

To access the “Compatibility Mode”

Right Click on the program “exe file” and go ‘Properties”

Click “Compatibility Tab” and select the mode that the software was made for

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Thanks everyone, I have other problems at present with Vista SP2 that are taking my attention and I am glad that I still have a functioning XP partition. I will tick this as resolved and as soon as Vista SP2 has stabilised on my PC I will follow Strawballs advice to change my XP to Windows 7 Beta.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

It's windows 7 RC (release candidate) you want not the Beta as that is due to switch off.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Thanks for the reminder, I did mean RC but I could easily have looked for the Beta. When you reach 70 your brain just turns to mush... Sigh....

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

There's no hope for me then mine's heading that way at 47

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon,...

IDG UK Sites

Why are people still buying satnavs? Smartphones are the modern satnav

IDG UK Sites

New Star Wars trailer: Watch the VFX-laden teaser for The Force Awakens

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers UPDATED