We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Win 7 RC - how is it for you- opinions?

morris948

Likes # 0

My desktop PC which is around 6 years old, has Intel CPU 2.8 Gb with 2Gb memory, an ATI X1650 graphics card 512Mb running on a MSI 6585 mobo.
Win 7 is on a 160Gb drive and win XP is on 500Gb drive.

I use 2 hard drives bays, one is in a caddy the other is fixed in place and i use an external switch to toggle between master and slave setting on the fixed drive, this is so i can select the main win XP hard drive as slave when i plug in the Win 7 caddy as master, this allows me to use the same PC to Run both OS's indipendantly.

The installation process worked well, i used the esay transfer program to copy all my settings and files via a memory stick, although this process worked, it did not copy over the most important settings, like the broadband account& router settings and the outlook pop3 account, i had to install all this manually.

I then loaded it up with Office XP pro, and winzip, adobe 8 plus lots more programs.

After customising the settings to how i like it, i ran the windows experience rating, this gave a result of 3.8 (spec is 1 to 7.9)so about average for an old PC.

Here are some of the issues i encountered:
ATI drivers needed updating.
Canon MPC 200 printer not recognised (i found out that canon have no drivers for vista or win 7)

Blue screen crashes with IRQL not = to zero, system reboots automatically before i can read all the text.

Sometimes loses the netgear wireless adapter when booting up, (have to unplug & plug the device to get it running)

When running many applications the system crashes with BSOD.

On the positive side:
I like the UI, and some nice touches like when renaming a file it highlights the file name and not the extension.

Nice help screens with links and details, the default font is very easy on the eye.

There is lots more i could say, but what have been your experiences so far.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Lots of posts about IE8.

Some people have no problems, others do.

I try not to use it.

Like this post
pa1916

Likes # 0

I've been running Windows 7 over a number of beta versions the last beta version works well only two items of software didn't work with Windows 7 on my computer,Windows 7 does seem to have a lighter kernel if that is the correct way of putting it,it will run on my 6 year old computer the one i did the testing on.
I don't think the difference is worth the upgrade from Vista the problems i had when Vista was released have all been resolved and is very stable now.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Microsoft teases new OS ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

September 2014 creative trends: 5 things you must see

IDG UK Sites

What to expect from Apple in autumn/winter 2014: iPhone 6, iPhone Air, iWatch, iPad 6, new Apple...