We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Win 7 RC - how is it for you- opinions?

morris948

Likes # 0

My desktop PC which is around 6 years old, has Intel CPU 2.8 Gb with 2Gb memory, an ATI X1650 graphics card 512Mb running on a MSI 6585 mobo.
Win 7 is on a 160Gb drive and win XP is on 500Gb drive.

I use 2 hard drives bays, one is in a caddy the other is fixed in place and i use an external switch to toggle between master and slave setting on the fixed drive, this is so i can select the main win XP hard drive as slave when i plug in the Win 7 caddy as master, this allows me to use the same PC to Run both OS's indipendantly.

The installation process worked well, i used the esay transfer program to copy all my settings and files via a memory stick, although this process worked, it did not copy over the most important settings, like the broadband account& router settings and the outlook pop3 account, i had to install all this manually.

I then loaded it up with Office XP pro, and winzip, adobe 8 plus lots more programs.

After customising the settings to how i like it, i ran the windows experience rating, this gave a result of 3.8 (spec is 1 to 7.9)so about average for an old PC.

Here are some of the issues i encountered:
ATI drivers needed updating.
Canon MPC 200 printer not recognised (i found out that canon have no drivers for vista or win 7)

Blue screen crashes with IRQL not = to zero, system reboots automatically before i can read all the text.

Sometimes loses the netgear wireless adapter when booting up, (have to unplug & plug the device to get it running)

When running many applications the system crashes with BSOD.

On the positive side:
I like the UI, and some nice touches like when renaming a file it highlights the file name and not the extension.

Nice help screens with links and details, the default font is very easy on the eye.

There is lots more i could say, but what have been your experiences so far.

Like this post
dms_05

Likes # 0

Windows 7 is the best Microsoft OS I've ever used.

It was the easiest and quickest to install and unlike Vista had all the drivers my laptop needed. It runs smoothly and has never crashed since I installed the Beta last year.

My laptop shows about 2% CPU usage when idling with a browser and an office suite running (Opera/Open Office). In addition Windows 7 is quick. I haven't, as yet, found any application that won't run utilising Windows 7.

The usual Microsoft complainers will complain but this is the finished product and deserves success.

I also note people are managing installs on very basic netbooks with Atom CPU's, 1GB RAM and no CD/DVD - they use bootable USB drives to install the OS.

Like this post
tigertop2

Likes # 0

Have to agree with dms_05. I have not found any problems with MS7 Ultimate. It handles all my hardware old and new and other than Windows Defender clashing with PC Tools software it is a huge step forward in bringing us a worthy successor to XP and most certainly Vista. It will sell well if they don't overload the prices in the UK.

Like this post
morris948

Likes # 0

Well, thats good news that many find WIN 7 to be stable, i wish i could say the same becuase i actually like the interface.
It's a pity that for some reason, my PC does not perform properly with it, i had 3 blue screen crashes which auto reboot while it was doing nothing, but when using XP, it is on day and night running apps with no problems.

i will have to invest in new hardware when the time comes.

Like this post
zarobian

Likes # 0

Win7 is the most stable operating system, I have ever used. I am dual booting it along with vista home premium. All vista drivers I have used so for,are competable with Win7.
I have been time testing it with vista, I find that applications are openning faster. Boot time is almost the same. By the way no bosd or freezing.

Like this post
tigertop2

Likes # 0

Just as an update on W7 I now have it running on 3 of the 6 pc's in this household. So far all 3 PCs are using the 32bit systems. After 6 weeks of fairly hard everyday use W7 is stable and just feels less 'clunky' than Vista. It is certainly quicker on start up and a huge advance on Windows XP which I still have along with Vista on the remaining 3 PCs. It is pretty intuitive at finding drivers no matter what I add on to the PCs which is great.
The only problem so far has been with the 64bit version which has failed to load on 3 different PCs, whether due to a faulty download or something else, I don't know. I will leave it until the Retail/OEM versions are released.
I simply wanted anyone with a spare PC who is contemplating trying the W7 Release candidate to know that it is quite an easy straitforward thing to do with no pain and a lot of gain once you have done it

Like this post
laurie53

Likes # 0

Agree entirely with tt2's update, including 64 bit experience.

Like this post
Bob The Nob©

Likes # 0

Still so far only found these problems remain

1. everytime I minamise FireFox, my MSN comes up

2. The Notes program stays in the taskbar and doesnt move to the system tray

3. Desktop composition screws with my fireworks cs3

4. Shortcut overlays are too small.

5. It doesn't like joining a Windows 2003 domain.

2 is more of a personal opinion, notes should be run more as a gadget than an app.

4 is a beauty thing, I shrink my icons so I can fit more onscreen as I dont need them HUGE because I can see fine but when I shink them to the size I want, The shortcut overly is still massive. But I have just removed overlays fullstop.

5 is probably me doing something wrong, but my virtualised windows 7 doesn't want to join my virtualised domain. Well, it does but it doesn't apply the group policy or auto install the software it should. but this isnt going to worry me atm as its probably just me being silly.

Build 7048 (32bit) the desktop cycling didn't work but it seems to be fixed in the RC.

I also wish the Network connection icon in the SysTray was still animated, it kinda helped.

I find the librarys pretty useless but they might become more useful in time.

Like this post
Bob The Nob©

Likes # 0

P.S.

Idle with Messenger running

CPU: 0~3%
CPU Temp: 30*C

RAM: 560Mb

Ambient Temp: 31*C

My XP is about the same but its RAM is about 300Mb.

Like this post
Vimal

Likes # 0

All

Have been using beta for several weeks with no problems until today.

When using explorer and going to PC Advisor site, it stops responding. Have to use Task Manager to close it down. When I check CPU using it is hitting 100% with little downpeaks.

After closing explorer CPU using goes down to single figures.

Any ideas?

Like this post
Quiet Life

Likes # 0

May not be W7 see click here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...