We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

clock speed

conrail

Likes # 0

running vista home premium 64 bit with 4gb RAM, have downloaded and trying tweak vi and under cpu information it says current clock speed 1050Mhz, maximum clock speed 2100Mhz, status OK, will it benefit me in increase my clock speed? if so how can I do it? all advice gratefully accepted

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Most of these systems vary the speed of the CPU depending on what it actually needs i.e it saves power and reduces heat when running at full speed is not required and would make no processing difference.

I would leave it well alone.

Like this post
OTT_Buzzard

Likes # 0

As bremner said, CPU, FSB and RAM settings are generally better left alone, however, there are some well tried and tested methods of overclocking that can yield some significant performance gains. They do however depend on exactly what hardware you have in your PC.

If you can post back some info then it will give a better idea of what may be possible. If your PC has been bought from the likes of Dell, HP or similar then any overclocking is not likely to be possible.

Need to know:

Motherboard make and model
RAM type and frequency (e.g ddr2, ddr3; 800mhz, 1300mhz)
CPU model
power supply wattage
If your CPU cooler is standard or aftermarket.

Note: if your PC is under warranty, any overclocking will likely viod it.

Like this post
conrail

Likes # 0

thanks bremner and OTT_Buzzard, could download a program and find info OTT_Buzzard but pc is under warranty so think I will leave alone, just wondered because pc is quad processor but sometimes it appears slow and when opening a web page, cannot open anything else until page opens, it is 4 months old

Like this post
OTT_Buzzard

Likes # 0

Try putting a post with your symptoms in to the Helproom section of the forum. There's lots of people who may be able to suggest ways to speed things up for you :)

Like this post
conrail

Likes # 0

thanks OTT_Buzzard, I will try that

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

2015 visual trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal what should be inspiring us in 2015

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do