We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Shortcut key(s) for shutting down Vista?

sheila.weston

Likes # 0

Is there a way that I can shut down Vista on my laptop, using one of the function keys? I thought that there was, but can't find it in the help files.
Sheila

Like this post
tullie

Likes # 0

Sorry dont know,but it wouldent be any quicker than the normal method would it?

Like this post
Peter

Likes # 0

My netbook, which is running Windows XP, has the Fn + F12 function to send the netbook into sleep mode. Remember that you need to combine the Fn key with a function key (F1 - F12) to access the extra functions.

Another way is to put a shortcut on the desktop. I've got two, one for Windows Shutdown and one for Windows Restart. If this idea is of interest to you reply to this thread and I will provide instructions. I'll have to check how it's done on my wife's Vista laptop.

Peter.

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

For me the standard Alt F4 then Enter does the trick.

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

You can configure the main power button to do that in "power plans"... configure to do just what you want, shutdown, hibernate or sleep.

Like this post
sheila.weston

Likes # 0

Many thanks, all. Sorry for late response - I didn't get a reminder/notification by email. I have found that pressing the FN key brings up a reminder of what all the F keys do. It is Fn + F3 for sleep and F4 for hibernate.

Yes please, Peter, if you could let me know how to make a shortcut on the desktop, I would be grateful.

I have configured the Power Plan, but it doesn't seem to work as far as the button is concerned - will try again.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Control Panel, Hardware and Sound, Power Options, Choose what the power button does (on the left hand side), When I press the Power Button, select ShutDown for Battery and Plugged In, Save and Close.

Like this post
Peter

Likes # 0

The desktop shortcuts for Windows Restart and Windows Shutdown are shown below. To make things easier for you I will email you with these shortcuts as attachments.

Windows Shutdown - C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe /s /c "Windows is shutting down - Goodbye." /t 002

Windows Restart - C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe /r /c "Windows is restarting - see you again soon." /t 002

The final digit - 002 - determines how long the Restart or Shutdown message stays on-screen before the appropriate action takes place.

Peter.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

3 of the best portable chargers: a solar power charger, a hand-cranked charger, and how to charge...

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks