We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

uninstall shortcut problems

conrail

Likes # 0

using home premium 64bit, have used ccleaner to uninstall a program which left the desktop shortcut, tried right click/delete and dragging the shortcut to the recycle bin and get the message Are you sure you want to rmove this file to the Recycle Bin? clicking on yes bring the message, Could not find this item, this is no longer located inC:\Users\Public\Public Desktop, verify the items location and try again, I have run ccleaner registry to see if that removed it from the registry but it is still there, all suggestions on removal gratefully accepted

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Try logging off and on again. See if it's still there.

Like this post
smackheadz

Likes # 0

what program was the shortcut too? if it is still there after a reboot then you could reinstall and then uninstall using revo.i've never used it myself but it is highly regarded and may be of use to you anywayclick here

Like this post
conrail

Likes # 0

thanks rdave13 and smackheadz, restarted this morning and the shortcut has gone, thanks for your help

Like this post
ztronicsalien

Likes # 0

Hi,

if you want to delete any Item with a shortcut
use keyboard shift+delete+enter
for more on computer help please click here

Like this post
smackheadz

Likes # 0

that normally happens if you uninstall the program before deleting the shortcut.the way to go is delete the shortcut before uninstalling the program.but even so if you are left with a shortcut it will normally be gone when you reboot :o)

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

It isn't just shortcuts that Vista leaves visible until you re-boot. I have had folders that I have tried to remove after an uninstall that refuse to be deleted. One re-boot later amd they have gone. Just another little thing to annoy me with Vista that XP seemed to deal with properly.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...