We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

IE8 Compatability View List for Vista KB969497

Pine Man

Likes # 0

This windows update fails to install.

I have tried all of the Microsoft fixes to no avail.

Anybody else having probs?

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Just checked my updates and found that it installed OK a few days back, so no trouble with it here.

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

OK here. When IE8 installed via windows update another update immediately appeared saying something like failure to install this would prevent future updates installing.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

..for the info so far.

I have even tried the standalone version of the file which also failed to install. I might try uninstalling IE8 and then reinstalling it and carrying out the updates.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

I tried uninstalling IE8 and then reinstalling it - failure. I can't reload IE8 now!

Just spent two hours on the phone to Microsoft and they have failed!

They are now going to spend the night scratching their heads before ringing back tomorrow afternoon.

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

If you remember I couldn't get IE8 to load from the file correctly, and I too submitted a support request. Very helpful but ultimately no real answer as to why. In the end after hours of problems installing I went back to IE7 (Acronis) but when IE8 appeared on windows update I tried again and it was installed perfectly without problems.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

I have just carried out a Windows Update check and five items are now ready to download BUT none of them will download and update. I am beginning to think it's more of a problem with Windows Update.

Let's see what Microsoft come up with when they ring back this afternoon.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Microsoft rang too late yesterday so they are going to ring again this afternoon and they promised to fix it!

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

It appears that my Vista SP1 installation is corrupt but, for some reason, it does not appear on the list of installed updates so cannot be uninstalled.

Microsoft suggest that this can be repaired by using a recent Vista Home Premium disk that already contains SP1 but my disk is two years old.

The alternative is a fresh installation or go without any Windows Updates!

I am now trying to beg, borrow or steal a Vista disk!

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

This clearly isn't an IE8 problem so I will tick as resolved and when I get Windows Update fixed I will post the result if it can be of use to others.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...