We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

skype is not a compatible win32 application!!?

Tomo82

Likes # 0

Can someone please,please help me!! i have been using skype (not sure which version) on my old laptop (OS - win vista premium 32bit) for a year and a half and had no problems!! i am travelling at the mo and find it extremely helpfull! i have just purchased a new laptop (OS - win vista premium 32bit) and cannot download skpe! it says it is not a compatible win32application but ive used it b4 on the OS!! i have tried deleting cookies&temp files, downloading via mozilla and changing the dest file but none of these work i have also tried downloading skype 3.1 and get the same msg!! can someone please help me?

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

The latest version of Skype is 4.

This may help: click here

Like this post
Tomo82

Likes # 0

i have tryed all of the above and these dont seem to work either, have you any other ideas?

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

I think the next thing I would try is disabling any antivirus and firewall software, before installing. That may be what's causing the problem.

Just a word of warning - I reckon you can be pretty confident that a Skype download is clean, but if you want to be absolutely certain, download the installer file to your computer (ie: Save, don't Install) and scan it before you disable your security software.

Then disable the security stuff and run the Skype installer.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes