We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Gettin back to Vista

rawprawn

Likes # 0

I am tempted to download and install Windos 7 RC1.
I use Acronis, and have a full C: backup on an external drive.
2 Questions
A, can I get back to Vista using my ordinary C: drive Acronis backup
B,When Win 7 is installed will there be a charge for this uprgrade at a later stage.
Any advice welcome on then way forward.

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

No worries, I have decided against installing it.

Like this post
laurie53

Likes # 0

Just in case you're still interested, don't know if you can get back to Vista, but I returned to XP with Acronis.

Decided I wanted Win 7 on a different computer so simply restored using Acronis with no problems at all.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

The Release Candidate isn't an upgrade, it's a chance to try out the new Windows version prior to launch, although Microsoft obviously hopes that you'll be so impressed you'll want to buy the release version when the RC licence expires in 2010.

So far the RC seems to be getting a very good reception, so perhaps you'll change your mind at some point - the download will be available until the end of June.

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

I am going to download it and give it a try later this week when I have time to play about.
Thanks to you both for the input.

Like this post
tobyb121

Likes # 0

You can partition your drive and install 7 on the new partition, it will automatically set up the dual boot, and if and when you are fed up with 7, you can reinstall the vista mbr, and delete the partition.

Like this post
Technocrate

Likes # 0

Steps to Downgrade From Win 7 To Vista

STEP 1 – Locate Windows folder
The first step is to open the Windows 7 drive and locate the Windows.old folder in the drive. This is essential to change from Windows 7 to Vista and without it, this process would not be possible. Now you need to ensure that ample free space is available in the Windows 7 drive as all contents of Windows 7 is moved to a folder and the Vista contents from the Windows.old folder is copied.

STEP 2 – Reboot your PC
Now it is time to insert the Windows 7 installation disk in the DVD drive. Once this is done, reboot your PC. When the first screen shows up select your language, time and currency format and keyboard input method and click the ‘Next’ button.

Step 3 – Launching Windows7
Now the Install Windows window appears. Simply click on the ‘Repair your computer’ option to launch System Recovery Options dialog-box. You now need to select your Window 7 OS and click the ‘Next’ button again. Now you click on ‘Command Prompt’ to launch it.

STEP 4 – Move Windows 7 folders
In the next step, you will type the following commands in a serial manner and hit ‘Enter’ after typing each one of them. This action moves all the contents of Windows 7 to a new folder.
C:
Md Win7
Move Windows Win7\Windows
Move “Program Files” “Win7\Program Files”
Move Users Win7\Users
Attrib –h –s –r ProgramData
Move ProgramData Win7\ProgramData
Rd “Documents and Settings”

Step 5 – Copy Windows Vista files
Again the same process is repeated with a different set of commands that are given below and this ensures that the contents from Windows.old folder are copied to the drive.

move /y c:\Windows.old\Windows c:\
move /y “c:\Windows.old\Program Files” c:\
move /y c:\Windows.old\ProgramData c:\
move /y c:\Windows.old\Users c:\
move /y “c:\Windows.old\Documents and Settings” c:\

STEP 6 – Restore the Boot Sector
You have to restore the boot sector of your Vista OS by giving the following command.
D:\boot\bootsect /nt60 c:

Finally type ‘Exit’ to reboot your PC.

We have used the installation CD for Windows 7 to downgrade your OS from Windows 7 to Vista as per your requirement. We recommend that you check the security settings of the newly installed Vista and install antivirus software to protect your PC from external threats.

For More Information and help related to windows 7 issues click here

Like this post
Migwell

Likes # 0

Why would anyone want to downgrade Win 7, it's brilliant. Far better than XP, Vista and anything else you can think of!!!!!!!!!!!

Like this post
KremmenUK

Likes # 0

I'm not sure 7 is better than XP, prettier yes, but there are so many restrictions. I had to perform loops to get rid of a corrupt file because even though I am an Administrator it reckoned I had insufficient privileges to do anything with the file.

I even activated the hidden Administrator account and that wouldn't budge it either.

Also, try circumnavigating Vista or 7's 'Interactive Services Detection' to perform remote activity!, impossible.

It's definitely better than Vista though. I look on 7 as Vista SP3.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 launch event live: Windows 9 launch live blog - find out first as the new Windows is...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK