We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Have you downloaded the Release Candidate?

Forum Editor

Likes # 0

If you have, how did the installation go - was it smoother than a smooth thing in a smooth shop, or did the installer start looping, and run through the process again? Several people seem to have experienced this problem.

Like this post
tigertop2

Likes # 0

Had an initial problem which was probably due to a corrupted hard drive when I was trying to dual boot with XP. however all is now running just fine on a cleaned up hard drive. I am most impressed with the way it handles all the drivers needed without fuss. Still a bit of conflict between Windows defender and other antivirus programmes like PC Tools. But |I can live with that. right now it is fixing up the media centre with live TV

I Like it! MS are going to make a lot of people happy with this successor to XP and the dreaded Vista

Like this post
Coltch

Likes # 0

Going to have to re-install the RC as Mediaplayer and Media Center are unstable (never had a problem with the Beta) and this is a clean install on a separate HDD

Like this post
tigertop2

Likes # 0

Just looking at chat going on in other forums around the world a heck of a lot more people are downloading the W7 RC release than I suspect even MS could have hoped for in the months before the official release.

I just wonder how long MS can allow that demand without bringing forward the final 'pay for it' version. I suspect there is some reappraisal going on within Microsoft on how best to handle what may become a flood of pre release downloads. I also suspect what may be seen as a very popular new OS will allow them to charge even more than they planned, especially in the UK!
If my trial system continues to perform as well as it is currently doing on a 2 year old desktop all 6 pcs in this household will be using W7 within the next month or so.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

Gave up on norton now trying AVG 8.5

Like this post
Legolas

Likes # 0

The installation went as smooth as a very smooth babies bottom, although I have noticed that my blue tooth wireless mouse is slightly sluggish in Win 7 as opposed to Vista. Apart from that I like the look and feel of Win 7, would I upgrade from Vista...not sure at the moment.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

You have plenty of time to decide - your RC installation is good until 1st June 2010, although your computer will commence two-hourly shut-downs from March 1st.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

AVG seems to be working fine

Like this post
Bob The Nob©

Likes # 0

I upgraded from a pre-beta build to the RC after editing a file which stopped any beta windows 7 build upgrading, it tooks about 4 hours as it had to copy and replicate my previous settings.

This included Office 2k7, Adobe CS3, Firefox, IE and on and on.

Upon reboot, I had lost my Firefox preferances and themes etc they were installed it had just reverted back to default but I still had my bookmarks.

I had lost my Windows Virtual PC update but that was just a redownload from MS and reboot.

Everything else was fine apart from it taking ages but this was an Upgrade instaed of a fresh install.

The fresh install on my laptop took 15mins.

Like this post
Covergirl

Likes # 0

Installed mine a couple of weeks ago. Image download OK. Burned to DVD OK. Checked my PC for installed progs, backed up data then went for it.

Acer T180 5000 Dual Core 2600,2GB RAM, 7300 graphics card, VHP.

Installed in half an hour and it even kept my data in a Windows Old / User folder which I wasn't expecting. Obviously it didn't format the disc.

It didn't set my CRT to it's optimum resolution - icons /text etc far too large.

No Windows Mail - had to D/L Windows Live Mail which is "different" but I'm getting used to it.

Canon MP610 printer found and installed invisibly!

Nothing else installed so far (apart from AVG) - it's just an internet PC at the moment.

Not too keen on the quick launch area holding several instances of IE under one icon - I like to click between them but that's just something else to get used to.

I would like the little globe to appear on the wireless strength icon in the systray - that tells me I'm connected to t'internet and not just local.

There are a few other differences to get used to but on the whole, not too bad apart from the nagging AV/Firewall system thing which I've turned off.

Like this post
anskyber

Likes # 0

and probably all vista should have been. I really like it and it is my OS of choice to boot into each day.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft smartwatch release date, price and specs rumours: Launching within a few weeks

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...