We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Have you downloaded the Release Candidate?

Forum Editor

Likes # 0

If you have, how did the installation go - was it smoother than a smooth thing in a smooth shop, or did the installer start looping, and run through the process again? Several people seem to have experienced this problem.

Like this post
jpieter

Likes # 0

I made a partition on my laptop hard disk and now dual boot with Vista. Installed in about 20 minutes with no problem at all. Everything seems to work very well,certainly better than Vista.

Like this post
Dipso

Likes # 0

It was a no go for me. Despite having no problems whatsoever with the Beta since running it as my main OS since the end of January, I have been unable to install the RC due to incompatibilites with my NVIDIA GeForce 7650GS. I have reverted back to the Beta for the time being but hope that a fix is developed before my current licence expires at the end of July.

I can't bear the thought of having to go back to Vista after all this time!

Like this post
crosstrainer

Likes # 0

That I have learned enough from the BETA, and will not be installing RC1. Overall, I think that 7 will be an improvement over Vista, and am now hoping that the rumoured "Free" upgrade might apply to my lappy (lives in hope) :))

Like this post
Ashrich

Likes # 0

Downloaded and ran a couple of days ago , installed smoothly and runs Ok with a few caveats . Changing wallpapers causes the program to crash but on closing the wallpaper program results in it changing correctly . Windows Explorer has locked up a couple of times as well , I think it may be a graphics card driver problem , will try with updated ones later .

Ashley

Like this post
zarobian

Likes # 0

Majority of the common applications working smoothly. The only problem I found is about Realtek HD audio system. Sound works fine but only the front speakers are active.The rear speakers where I have plugged in my head phones are not producing any sound.
In the control panel I could not find the Realtek HD audio Manager for setting up speakers.
I am dual booting with Vista hp where as all the speakers are functioning properly and the realtek HD audio manager is available to play with.

Like this post
FreeCell

Likes # 0

Zarobian

I had to reinstall RealTek Audio Manager from my motherboard CD and it now works fine. Hope you can get it sorted too.

Like this post
gazzaho

Likes # 0

Just installed it to a spare drive with Vista pre-installed, it took about an hour all in. There were no problems with the installation once I un-installed two incompatible pieces of software, Canon Easy Photo Print EX and Windows Mobile Device Center 6.1. All my other software and hardware seems to be compatable.

The mobile Device Center I was able to re-install after Windows 7 was installed but the Canon software may be a problem along with printing, I haven't tested printing yet.

Like this post
laurie53

Likes # 0

Dumped the 64 bit and went back to 32 - simply too many drivers not available.

For the record a simple task, with no problems, but you have to remember to format the drive first.

The 32 bit version will not install over the 64 bit version.

Like this post
Devil Fish

Likes # 0

downlaod around 45 min install 20 mins no problems at all

vista drivers for printer and wireless adaptor purring along nicely

Like this post
OTT_Buzzard

Likes # 0

Just installed 32 bit on to the media center downstairs. Goddam that was a painful process. 7 hours to download and i've lost count of the number of aborted attempts to install. Eeek!!! It still isn't working!

I'd best go sort it out so that the littlen' can have his 'electronic nanny' back tomorrow!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

iPhone buying advice: Should I buy an iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s, or iPhone 5c, or wait for7......