We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Have you downloaded the Release Candidate?

Forum Editor

Likes # 0

If you have, how did the installation go - was it smoother than a smooth thing in a smooth shop, or did the installer start looping, and run through the process again? Several people seem to have experienced this problem.

Like this post
OTT_Buzzard

Likes # 0

Smoother than a mirror maker working in a grease shop

Like this post
BurrWalnut

Likes # 0

20 minutes to install, the same as the previous beta versions.

Like this post
Tazfan

Likes # 0

My 1st attempt at 7. About 20 mins for me too. No problems experienced at all. I was surprised about that considering the newest component on my system is 3 years old (a memory stick). Board, graphics, sound and processor are all 2004 vintage, but working strong. Only issue is I cant get any sound.
I never bothered with Vista, choosing to stay with XP. Im almost certain that the same will happen with 7.
The taskbar does not seem as useful and it soon gets clogged up and confusing.

I installed it on a separate partition so I still have my good old XP in tact.

Like this post
Arkaig

Likes # 0

Download of RC (32bit) took under 2 hrs for me and went without any problems. Intall was equally smooth onto a clean new HD, it took under 1/2 hr to install and it found all drivers for my system. All in all happy with things so far , and on testing my Apps have not encountered any problems (YET!)

Like this post
Stephanie

Likes # 0

My first try at installing failed as 7 RC said it could not read hard drive configuration. I temporarily disconnected an IDE drive I have which contains my music and it installed in about 20 min.

Reconnecting the drive caused no problems, and I had all my apps installed within 3 hours.

So far everything seems to be working.

Like this post
anskyber

Likes # 0

Smooth as silk

Like this post
FreeCell

Likes # 0

Downloaded and installed yesterday on top of Beta. No problems just needed to connect to internet using ethernet cable to download driver for my old wireless card.

Slight cosmetic changes to start-up screen and desktop options but no obvious problems. Action Center reporting issue with latest AVG 8.5 Free apparently but AVG running fine. Looks like an interface problem between the two.

I am using our 26 inch widescreen TV as a monitor and some windows seem too long meaning buttons are not visible at the bottom of the window.

Resolved previous problem with Nero Essentials and Lightscribe on Beta version by installing LightScribe System Software so Nero now recognises LightScribe device.

One outstanding problem is that I cannot get networked HP All-in-One software and drivers to recognise device and allow scanning (using Vista version). Windows 7 installed printer drivers without problem and without needing HP driver software.

Like this post
pa1916

Likes # 0

Took 45 mins no problems,
I wish Outlook Express would be reinstalled i don't like Live mail.

Like this post
powerless1

Likes # 0

"was it smoother than a smooth thing in a smooth shop"

errr a what?

Yes it installed fine on my MacBook.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

have experienced no problems with the install. I have heard of a few who had the installer looping I mentioned earlier, but not many. Most of the people I've spoken to are - so far - very happy with Windows 7

I must say it's running nicely on three of my machines, and if all is well in a week or so I'll follow suit with all of them.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

7 coolest 3D-printed objects: Body parts, houses, camera lenses and even pizza

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks