We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

sidebar problems

mad1234

Likes # 0

hi guys
i have lost my sidebar!
have been thru the items i could find already on this site & the only thing that worked was going back to a previous restore point until i shut the computer down. on reboot the sidebar was gone again
any ideas anyone?

Like this post
User-FC0CC263-E51A-431F-9CA459FC39B4E4E9

Likes # 0

sorry if these is a daft question but you do have it set to start?

Like this post
mad1234

Likes # 0

start sidebar when windows starts - the box has tick in it & so does sidebar is always on top of other windows

Like this post

Likes # 0

it's been a while since i used vista but it may have a setting in services also that may need to be enabled- for services go to control panel and i think it is under administrative tools

Like this post
mad1234

Likes # 0

no - can't see anything in there

Like this post

Likes # 0

had you used windows update before this started happening?if so i would uninstall the updates and reinstall them one by one to see if one is causing it- the same could be said for any programs that you may have installed since before it started giving any problem.you could also give ccleaner a shot if you don't use it alreadyclick here

Like this post
Ventad

Likes # 0

Have you tried start/start search/type- windows sidebar properties retick start sidebar when windows starts

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

This may help click here

Like this post
mad1234

Likes # 0

thanks guys for all your help
i think i may have a bigger problem than i first thought. i was going through the help file from woolwell & i have discovered that i don't even have dos command prompt in my accessories
i will try the earliest restore point i have & see if that works

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Try typing CMD in the search box (click on Start) and if you get CMD then right click on it and choose run as administrator. This should enable you to follow the rest of my earlier link.

Like this post
mad1234

Likes # 0

i have restored my pc to one of the earliest restore points i have & up popped the side bar.
i then allowed my pc to get updates from HP & when i restarted it my sidebar has gone
so i can safely say that my HP update is responsible for it.
anyone got any idea if there is a fix for this?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes