We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Vista Wont Update-Why?

belcanto

Likes # 0

Hi there, I hope that someone can help, for a while now. Every time I click on it, the window comes up but remains blank. The same happens if I go too the site directly. I would be greatful for a helpful suggestion, as the same happens with Windows Live Messenger. It can download it but when it comes to installing the compnants, it says "registering with windows update" and that is it. It never seems to actually do anything.

TIA
Belcanto

Like this post
smackheadz

Likes # 0

does it not even give an error code? are you able to update your security software? if so it might be worth giving your anti's a run.

Like this post
belcanto

Likes # 0

No..there is no error code, it just hangs, if I do an alt/ctrl/Delete to stop the process then it says programme unresponsive. I can update my security software no problem (I use AVG and ZoneAlarm) and have run AV scans which have found nothing.

Am I better off doing a system restore to an earlier time?

TIA
Belcanto

Like this post
smackheadz

Likes # 0

i would say so yes,have you could give ccleaner a go before though in case it's something that has been left behind that is causing it,it could also be zone alarm that is blocking it for some reason- ccleanerclick here

Like this post
smackheadz

Likes # 0

also have you downloaded any apps for messenger as these can be a bit troublesome at times?

Like this post
belcanto

Likes # 0

Hi smackheadz, I have CC cleaner and have run it during one of my numerous attempts to download MSN Live. I have also turned off Zone Alarm, tried only downloading MSN Live messenger and nothing else but still no joy.

The funny thing is, I can download MSN 8.5 and for a while it works. Then for some reason, if I try to use it, it freezes. Again no error code..the cursor says that it is running but it just wont actually work properly.

Smackheadz, if you have any further ideas please share them.

TIA-belcanto

Like this post
OTT_Buzzard

Likes # 0

Might be worth checking for the conficker virus - not being able get to wndows update is a tell-tale sign of it.

click here for a quick easy way to tell....

Like this post
smackheadz

Likes # 0

looks like this was a similar problemclick here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'