We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Annoying Ads When opening IE8

vectismanpaul

Likes # 0

Hi there
Just wondering if anyone could help me with this issue. A couple of days ago I noticed that everytime I open IE8 or a new tab an advertsing page is opened in another window. This has never happened before.The ads are not particularly dubious and most from fairly well known companies.I am quite strict with security. I am operating IE8 with protected mode on and the pop up blocker enabled. I am also using the Norton Internet Security 2009 Suite which has found nothing. Spybot Search and Destroy Scan found nothing nor did Windows Defender or Ad Aware pro. I havethoroughly cleaned out all my internet files using Eraser Tec 2009, cleaned the registry and defragmented. I have also removed all restore points in case something was lurking there. I would be grateful if anyone could help. Whislt writng this two more adds have appeared!!

Paul

Like this post
peter99co

Likes # 0

Have you allowed Suggested Sites?

Like this post
Totally-braindead

Likes # 0

Just working on a computer now and I THINK I have got to the bottom of it - there was a program called favorit installed on it. I think it was downloaded and installed when some other program was installed. Delete the program if its there and problem solved.

Maybe

Like this post
vectismanpaul

Likes # 0

Hi there
I think you may be right. The word favorit does appear on some of the ads. At moment looking for the programme and cannot find it. Peter99co thnaks for reply but suggested sites is definitely turned off.

Paul

Like this post
vectismanpaul

Likes # 0

Hi there
Just found it in programmes list and deleted it.

Many thanks
Paul

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...