We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Vista and Firefox problems

bonnbonn

Likes # 0

I can be using Vista for a couple of hours then type in a new URL. Nothing happens but I get the word "stopped" on the status line (where it normally says "done").

I then have to re-boot and can continue. I also get no response from OE when this happens.

Takes ages to re-boot after this - maybe many minutes unlike a normal shut down.

Any suggestions please?

Like this post
brundle

Likes # 0

Need more info - ISP, cable or ADSL broadband, wired or wireless connection, antivirus/internet security software or third party firewall installed....

Like this post
bonnbonn

Likes # 0

hi Brundle,

I'm in France so am with Wanadoo (Orange) with a ADSL broadband connection. I've got a Sagem modem (USB). I use AVG free for virus and Zonealarm.

I've used the above for years without any problem so can't think they are at fault.

I remember my problems started when I downloaded the new MSN, didn't like it for the "stopped" reason so tried system restore but that went haywire so I tried other messenger programs which were not as good so I downloaded MSN again and it seems to have settled down now. But left me with this "stopped" biz.

Hope you can help.

Like this post
cetlab

Likes # 0

Bonn

I had the same problem a couple of weeks ago .
It was Zonealarm , i ditched Zonealarm and went with Comodo i have had no problems since .Do a search in Google and you will find loads of answers all pointing to your firewall.

Like this post
bonnbonn

Likes # 0

Hi Cetlab,

I'm really grateful for your response!

I'm curious though as to why there was no problem in the past. However, I'll uninstall ZA and see if the problem still occurs.

Thanks,

Bonn

Like this post
bonnbonn

Likes # 0

hi Cetlab,

I've just downloaded the firewall - would you recommend the anti-v as well and therefore not use AVG free?

Bonn

Like this post
cetlab

Likes # 0

Bonn

I use AVG.It is up to you .

Like this post
bonnbonn

Likes # 0

Hi Cetlab,

Just reporting 48 hours with no problems.

Thanks again.

Bonn

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

New Amazon Kindle Fire HD6 and Fire HD7: Release date, price and specs

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room