We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Vista not allowing me to End Tasks...

Radix Lecti

Likes # 0

Hi all, I'm running Vista Home Premium and I'm encountering an issue whereby after a random length of up-time, I'm not able to end any tasks through the Task Manager, or using any of the task killing utilities available.

Any ideas on this? Rebooting is getting tedious!

Like this post
Technotiger

Likes # 0

I've just been experiencing the same thing - I pressed Ctrl/Alt/Del then stopped it that way.

Like this post
Radix Lecti

Likes # 0

Thanks Technotiger, however Task Manager (the thing you access through CTRL, ALT + DEL) just isn't ending the tasks as I ask it to.

Like this post
Technotiger

Likes # 0

Instead of trying to End Task, choose any of the other options - like for instance Change Task, or any of the others.

Like this post
Radix Lecti

Likes # 0

I don't have a 'Change Task' option to select :o\

Like this post
mrwoowoo

Likes # 0

In the task manager you could try the end process tab instead.

Like this post
Radix Lecti

Likes # 0

Ah, sorry, this is what I've been doing. I think I'm just using XP terms (tasks, instead of processes?).

Any other ideas? It's driving me loopy.

Like this post
mrwoowoo

Likes # 0

You could try typing "sfc /scannow" in the search option to scan for iffy system files.
Quite often though,it can be caused by faulty drivers which can be a mare trying to find which is causing the problem.

Like this post
Radix Lecti

Likes # 0

Hi there, I'd already run the system file checker, without issue. All seemed to be well :o\

Like this post
mrwoowoo

Likes # 0

Having Zonealarm and spyware doctor on Vista can cause conflictions and cause this.
If you have either,uninstall it or them and see how it goes.
Apparently there are lots of people on the forums who are having this problem with Vista and seem to be stuck with it.)O:!

Like this post
mrwoowoo

Likes # 0

Process Explorer from sysinternals.com (free) does shut doen processes better than Vistas own task manager according to reviews.
I know it's not a solution but may help in the meantime.
click here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 launch event live: Windows 9 launch live blog - find out first as the new Windows is...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK