We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can I have 2 Operating Systems in 64 & 32bit on pc

qt1923

Likes # 0

I currently have a vista 64bit on my pc. But would also like to have xp 32bit on there as well. Is it possible to have both of them on my pc at the same time? Also would this cause any problems, like slowing my pc down or losing files etc? Is it possible to remove xp if I wanted to without losing any files.

Like this post
Teaboy

Likes # 0

merlinx

Again WOW!

Like this post
Teaboy

Likes # 0

Why shoulld merlinx take ofence, he's well ahead of the game, with mind-boggling skills?

Like this post
a member

Likes # 0

no skills required ,as I feel I am just your average comuter user .
HyperOS makes it all fairly easy and painless as long as you follow the instructions .
experamenting could cause a lot of grief .
I have often wondered why it never caught on a lot more ,but to be honest everyone who has seen my setup comments on how good it is but also say (that must be complicated)
it is not .

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

never heard of HyperOS before and never even considered more than 1 OS. I would imagine most of us haven't either. Do you have to switch system off before changing OS or can you hot swap.

Like this post
a member

Likes # 0

basically HyperOS puts an aditional icon on your desktop (on each OS)this is called "my other computers" within you will find an icon for each computer and any data drives you have , also at the bottom half a back up window listing your backups . creating a backup is simple you just drag the icon of the OS you want to back up into the backup window and its all done from there ,restoring a damaged OS is the same in reverse.
double clicking any OS will restart the pc in the OS you have chosen .
should an OS go (pear shaped) I restart the PC and enter one of the other OSs then use the backup to restore the damaged OS , (you can browse it first) to reclaim any files you dont want to lose.
in the five years I have used it I have never had a failure that has lost me anything important and have never had a virus or spyware etc. jump across systems.
thats the beauty of this system , should anything really bad happen to the os you are using ,system failure ,virus, bsod etc,you can choose one of the other OS,S during reboot and repair or restore from there .
In fact there is only one thing that can happen to shut you down for good and that is hard drive failure . and that is the same for everyone.

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

It does sound good but I wouldn.t fancy the cost of all those OS,s. Never had a virus only major problems in all the years was a double HD failure and as you say it couldn't do anything about that.

Like this post
qt1923

Likes # 0

Thanks for all the information. I don't think I will use hyperos because I don't want to have to pay for anything else, I have already bought a new pc and have vista and xp.

Also one reason I want to add xp is because I have a hardware that only seems to be recognised on xp so I don't know if it would work using hyperos. I tried to use virtual pc and install xp that way but it wouldn't recognise the hardware.

I found this guide to install anotehr operating system, is this guide ok would you say? click here

To install in 32bit would I need to do anything different or when I am installing the os will it ask me?

Like this post
a member

Likes # 0

yes , that website looks to be ok for advice on dual booting ,however when you create your 32bit partition and install XP you will then need to install drivers for that pc . you will also need to repair the boot files for vista ,once that is done you will have the option to boot into either OS at startup . 32 and 64bit side by side ,no problem.
I would check out the website for your pc manufacturer and check for xp drivers before you start that way you can download them and copy them to disk before you start.

Like this post
qt1923

Likes # 0

Thanks for your help I forgot about the drivers. If I am not mistaken I think this part of the website explains about the repairing the boot files click here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes