We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can I have 2 Operating Systems in 64 & 32bit on pc

qt1923

Likes # 0

I currently have a vista 64bit on my pc. But would also like to have xp 32bit on there as well. Is it possible to have both of them on my pc at the same time? Also would this cause any problems, like slowing my pc down or losing files etc? Is it possible to remove xp if I wanted to without losing any files.

Like this post
Jim_F

Likes # 0

It is possible - you would need to create 3 standalone Windows instances and its usual to do this in 3 different drives or partitions.

The Vista boot manager will handle multiple installs if its the last installation (after XP or Win2k) otherwise a 3rd party tool like Vistabootpro is needed - there are obviously other ways round the problem but I wouldn't go there if you're worried about losing data.

The problem with your data is that all NT based versions of Windows store data under user ID's on their own partitions - the best thing to do in my experience is move all user data to a neutral drive or partition - easy enough for 'My Documents' but a little more tricky for mail and this needs to be done for each OS.

As each OS has its own registry all programs which rely on this would need to be installed on each which in itself can start to get tricky - especially if you get updates.

Also remember that (as far as I know) Microsoft only licence one instance of Vista with each pack (32 or 64 bit) even though you may have the software for both so will identify one of your Vista instances as illegitimate unless you've bought it twice.

No - it won't slow the system down but could give you a lot of grief !

Like this post
a member

Likes # 0

I do all that and more using HyperOS,
I currently have 11 OSs on my PC and up to 22 are possible using the above HyperOS .
I have windows XP in 32 and 64 bit versions ,also Vista in both 32 and 64bit ,and 3 installations of windows 7 all in 64bit.
all OSs can be booted into , without any fuss , and I can browse and move or add/delete . files on any OS from within any other OS , without any danger .(subject to a little common sense)
I have been using this software since 2003 and cannot live without it now .
Though it takes a bit of getting used to . its well worth having.

Like this post
Teaboy

Likes # 0

merlinx

WOW!

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

merlinx
Why?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Like Kevscar I'm puzzled as to why anyone would possibly want to run 11 operating system versions.

Like this post
tullie

Likes # 0

It beats me why anyone would want any more than two,maximum.Maybe merlinx could enlighten us as to why,and which operating systems he has installed?.

Like this post
tullie

Likes # 0

Oops,he has told us which ones he has.

Like this post
Peter

Likes # 0

Why all this, almost hostile, questioning of merlinx's reasons for having "11 operating system versions"?

Perhaps merlinx likes to test software under various operating system versions or needs disposable operating environments to test possibly questionable software.

Whatever his reasons he was proposing a solution to qt1923 original query and does not need to have his own motives questioned.

Peter.

Like this post
tullie

Likes # 0

Dont be daft,its not hostile.

Like this post
a member

Likes # 0

Back in 2003 I started using HyperOS , it was a different version then that would run 11 or 22 versions of windows , the idea being that a single operating system grows rapidly in size and can quickly become slow and inconsistant as a result of all the bloat. the idea ... to load several smaller OS,s some cut down with software removed to save size , each OS would have specific tasks ,rather than being all singing dancing and eventually dying OSs .
I had (in those days) on average around 8 OSs from ME , to XP and even run linux .
my smallest OS was an installation of windows ME that was cut down to around 180mb total size. I kept this one for internet access only , and it was blisteringly fast .
these days the OSs are bigger (a lot bigger) but HyperOS still does the job as good as ever , I have accumatated a fair collection of softwares over the years and some will simply not work on vista without problems , as some will not work on 64 bit . also my very expensive pro photo printer will not work on vista or win7 .
however vista is a great os and I like it a lot so I use it for what its good at .
with modern hard drives being so big and cheap I have plenty of room . even with all these OSs installed . also another nice thing about HyprerOS is it can make backups of any of the OSs and copy (clone OSs back ond forth any partition you like .
microsoft doesnt have any liciencing issues , I could have 20 versions of XP installed and it would be perfectly legal as long as its the same base OS . as only one at any one time can be running .
I take no offence at earlier comments ,a lot of people either dont see the benifits ,and others who simply dont understand will dismiss it as useless , not a problem .
HyperOS is not for everyone , but I could not imagine not having it .
it has all I want , multi OS with backups and security .all in one .

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Just graduated? Learn all you need to know to kickstart your career in our Creative Graduate Guide