We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

open file - security warning

WildJack

Likes # 0

Hi
My first poste here. I have searched the forums to see if anyone had already posted this problem here but didn't find anything.

I'm having a problem with an annoyingly persistent dialog box. Perhaps somebody out there can help close it for good.

Whenever I log in to my laptop (Acer 5315 and windows home vista basic either as a std user or an admin) I get a dialog box: "Open File - Security Warning" that wants me to confirm that I trust the Apoint2k.exe file and want it to execute.

Apoint2k.exe is the Synaptics touchpad that loads on start up.Apparently it has an unknown publisher. Anyway, I have been unchecking the "always ask before opening this file" and clicking the "run" button, but am getting tired of this.

Is there a way to make this dialog box go away for good?

I've updated the driver via the Acer website, but to no avail.
...have also tried "unblocking" this file by clicking unblock within the windows explorer file -> properties dialog box.

How do I get vista to remember to trust this file? Is there a tucked away list of trusted programs within the control panel or management console? How about my Norton Internet Security 2007 security suite?

I have tried:

(1) Running the driver install .exe as administrator.
(2) Unchecking the "ask every time" box.
(3) Unblocking via the explorer->Properties dialog.
(4) Disabling UAC (using slider then through the registry).
(5) moved temporary internet folder

None of these things work. And if the best someone can suggest is not using the software, then that's not really helping.

I'm also having a problem where i'm getting a 'windows has blocked some start up programs'
on checking the programs are Autostart and Registry Editor.

I;ve run blocked programs and ingnored them and i haven't seen any difference in the laptop's performance either way.

Any know if these programs are needed?

Thanks to all who can help.

Like this post
WildJack

Likes # 0

Hi
I think i've solved the open file box problem.
I found this solution on Google: click here

like on the response from another guy to that link I had to first uncheck the always "Always ask before opening this file" and run the program then restart the laptop.
So far i've re started several times and the dialogue box has not reappeared although the program loads as it appears in the system tray.

I thought i'd let you know incase someone is experiencing a similar problem and this solution might help .. although there a quite a few (see google) and some work and some don't.

The other problem i'm experiencing..well i've cleared the Autostart one ..it was my Error Repair registry cleaner which was ticked to autostart on startup in the settings. i've unchecked that...but the problem still remains with the registry editor which i believe is a MS one. In start up it's showing as permitted .. why is it being blocked??

Thanks

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more