We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Backing up on Vista

sheila.weston

Likes # 0

I am having problems backing up on my vista laptop. The other week I set it up to backup to CDs on the CD drive. I am trying to change this to backup on the external Seagate HD on the D:\ drive. In the backup & restore center, it shows the D:\ drive correctly against 'where to save files.

I then select the backup option, but nothing happens except for a small window saying 'The last backup failed'. I know it did because I changed my mind about backing up to disk. Then a larger error window opens telling me that there is a corrupted file system and I should use the disk-error checking tool. Where is this?

The other folders and files in the external seagate appear to be ok.

Any suggestions?

Like this post
mrwoowoo

Likes # 0

If you go to the start orb and click on computer.Then right click on your ddrive (external Seagate) and choose properties then click the tools tab and the option to check the drive for errors is at the top.

Like this post
mrwoowoo

Likes # 0

If the prob is with your cdrive then check that for errors instead of, or as well.

Like this post
sheila.weston

Likes # 0

I have checked both drives and there are no problems. I am wondering if Vista allows one to backup files to an external HD, as opposed to a series of CDs?

Like this post
peter99co

Likes # 0

I plug in my external drive and then start backup.

Vista then checks for drives to use. It seems to find my external drive ok. I then proceed.

Like this post
sheila.weston

Likes # 0

Many thanks for this, both. I am embarassed to say this, but everything worked last night as it should. Heaven knows what I was doing wrong before!

However, looking at the backup files, they are zip ones and clicking on them, one can't see the individuals files.

What I would really like is a backupfolder which contains exact copies of the files. I have used 'Handy Backup' in the past, but wondered if there was anything similar built in to Vista. Apparently not? I suppose I could do a 'copy and Paste' every now and then.

Like this post
peter99co

Likes # 0

I have used Karens Replicator on XP but have not tried Vista. Look for Karen's Power Tools via Google.

Like this post
sheila.weston

Likes # 0

Many thanks, Peter99co. I have downloaded Karens Replicator and it has done a backup sucessfully - just what I wanted. The only (slight) disadvantage seems to be that it has to be minimised, as opposed to being an icon which works in the background, for it to work. Therefore, presumably, I will have to open it after the pc is powered up. Or have I misunderstood? Is there a way to put an icon in the bottom rhs ?task bar (or whatever it is called)?

Like this post
peter99co

Likes # 0

I just run it when reqd and that is all. Will a right click on the Program in the Program list allow a shortcut creation?

Rt click the taskbar and unlock then drag shotcut onto taskbar. Rt click task and lock again.

Like this post
brundle

Likes # 0

I use Syncback, which does sit in the system tray (that's the bit next to the clock) and can be scheduled. click here

Like this post
sheila.weston

Likes # 0

Many thanks, both. Yes, I'll keep to 'karen' for the moment and keep syncback in reserve. I'll mark this as 'resolved'.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia branding killed in place of 'Microsoft Lumia': Windows Phone moves into new era

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should you update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8? iOS 8.1 brings back Camera Roll, adds Apple Pay in...