We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows Vista

twaine

Likes # 0

My Windows Vista PC has suddenly stopped loading Windows on startup.It gets as far as the welcome screen and then goes straight on to internet explorer skipping the Desktop. Tried reinstalling OS without success as it refuses the activation code supplied by microsoft.Would welcome some help, please.

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

Check in your Startup folder that you DON'T have a shortcut to Internet Explorer - if you do delete it.

To get to the startup folder in Vista click the Start button , click All Programs, right-click the Startup folder, and then click Open.

Like this post
twaine

Likes # 0

Thanks for quick response Sea Urchin. Unfortunatly, I cannot get to the START button as it is only booting up to the WELCOME screen then straight on to I.E.

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

What happens when you close down IE?

Like this post
BurrWalnut

Likes # 0

Hit Ctrl+Shift+Esc to open Task Manager and go to the Application Tab > File > New Task > type explorer.exe and click OK to restart the desktop.

Has it started?

Like this post
paperman27

Likes # 0

look for an instruction on the black startscreen which says "press xyz to start in safe mode", if you dont have one then keep hitting F8 during bootup, you might be able to startup in safe mode, do this a couple of times, it was known to fix some problems on win98, might work for you too...

if not then hopefully you would be able to get into windows and checkout the strat menu "startup" entries.

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

Did you ever resolve your problem? If so it would be helpful to others to know how you did it.

Like this post
twaine

Likes # 0

My apologies to Seaurchin, paperman27 and BurrWalnut for not contacting you earlier due to my absence on holiday abroad from the 4th to the 19th April.As the PC was still under guarantee it was returned to the shop before I left and picked up today. I undsrstand that Vista was reinstalled and all seems to be in order for now! I am keeping acopy of your response for future use. Thanks again

Like this post
peter99co

Likes # 0

Can you tick the box and click resolved?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room